Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in case of nuclear fallout?

Options
  • 12-07-2023 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

What to do in case of nuclear fallout? Eg. a radioactive cloud from Zaporizhzhia power plan, so something similar to Chernobyl I suppose.

1. Are there official Irish guidelines for citizens in the case of nuclear fallout over Ireland? If so please link.
    2. What drugs would be best stock up on to prepare for this Eg. Potassium iodate?
    3. What else should one do? I am thinking, keep drinking water and food in the house beforehand, in the event of fallout, seal all doors and windows, and dont open them or go outside for several days at least.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Probably all the bases are covered in the below.

If memory serves there was an updated version in the '80s. Other than stocking up on iodine and ensuring a relatively airtight and well filtered shelter with a wash down process pre-entering the main shelter?

Not a whole lot more can be done.

It is worth noting though that Zaporizhzhia NPP uses a far safer design than Chernobyl's RBMK and an added safety feature is the incredibly robust building the reactors are contained in. The risk is very much a Krazy Ivan destruction of the plants rather than uncontrolled reactor melt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I have my pipboy and a stash of bottle caps!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

"turn your back to the flash" civil defense booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Should be lots of property investment opportunities if the wind is blowing where you want to buy. Need to keep an open mind and look on the bright side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Put your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye. Or have a nuclear shelter dug in your garden fully stocked with tinned food and water with a chemical toilet.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

Jump into a fridge. Be grand.

Advertisement