Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on purchasing house bordered by forestry

Options
  • 12-07-2023 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

Myself & my partner are considering buying a house bordered all around (including to the front) by forestry. All the trees have been cut so it’s obviously difficult to see what the landscape will be like should it be replanted.

I know there needs to be a 60 metre setback distance between any dwelling & the forestry we will be measuring to check this. If we find the distance does not measure up what should we do? Is this a common issue? Assume it’s probably up to our solicitor when doing contracts to ensure it’s stipulated future replantings are at the correct distance ? The house does have its own land to the back, sides and front, of varying distances, just not sure if they all reach the 60metres.

Also with access, the house is up a gravel lane, with no other houses, just a cow field & barn at the end, lane is not private so could there be any issues with heavy forestry machinery using the lane?

Is there anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭redbeaard

Hi sabpb,

The 60m setback distance could have be reduced with written permission from the previous land owner. Not sure how you would check this without challenging the forest owner about it. Could query the Forestry Service maybe, they're the ones who would have issued the permission back in the first place.

If the forest is cleared already then it should be fairly obvious how it was accessed. Is there another road that goes into the forest? Is there a gate that goes into the forest from behind your house? if there is, is there a road or tracks behind that gate with signs of use?

Either way, if its a public road then there's nothing stopping people from using it. That said, I wouldn't worry about it too much, if it's replanted tomorrow it won't be thinned for at least 20 years and even then when the thinning does take place it's literally a few lorries once every 5 years.

If I were you I'd get in contact with the forest owner and just have a chat. Tell them you want to buy the house and your concern. New forests these days require something like 20% native hardwoods and space for nature. Look into this, I'm not sure of the details. Maybe request the the border around your property is this space. If they're sound then they might even let you pick what kind of trees to put where. Put some slow-growing or low-growing trees where a view might be over, that kind of thing.

Strange question. What exactly worries you about forestry? As a forester I'd not live in a house in IReland that was surrounded by conifers. NOt becasue of any issue with conifers or fire worries, but because it's hard at best of times to get good sunshine and conifers unfortunately seem to make a house darker.

You also have to take into account that someone owns the land and that is their livelihood and you could be accused of coming to the nuisance if you do stri the pot at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sabpb

Great advice thanks Redbeaard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sabpb

Cavellaria not sure why it’s a strange question?? I just want to explore any potential issues, no intention of stirring the pot or interfering with anyone’s livelihood!

I actually love forests & would much prefer a house with trees around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Have a play around with that to see how badly effected house will be by shade.

I was planning to build on farm with my own forestry to S and SW of site and between 100m to 200m away. Given height of trees and what they were to grow to it was one of the reasons I decided against it.

Don't discount the importance of sunlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

Sunlight may be an issue. Also midges in the Summer.

Advertisement