Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help understanding Payslip Tax

Options
  • 11-07-2023 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, I am hoping someone can provide help in relation to payslip tax.

My friend is a student currently working 2 part-time jobs. When she received her payslip for one job, the total deductions somehow equaled her total pay. Net pay was then 0.

The deductions were mainly income tax and a 'net adjustment'. To share figures, her total pay was 290. Income tax was 117 and this net adjustment was 162. USC made up the remainder.

None of her colleagues have received these same deductions.We assume the net adjustment is an error, but surely income tax could not be 117?

Can someone advise, thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they have not split their tax credits, the second job will be charged as if there are no credits at all - and pay ~50% between tax, PRSI and USC.

The adjustment will need to be queried, but if their started the second job and an assumption was made for week 1 emergency tax, and it later turned out there were no credits, there will have been an underpayment that needed correction.

A student should have plenty of credits to split and not pay higher rate tax on either; it can be sorted out at the end of the year but I'd imagine they want the money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Len_Brennan

Thank you very much for the quick reply, appreciate it.

Yes it would be appear the tax credits were not split, so this would explain the high income tax.

Regarding the net adjustment and the assumption for emergency tax, I didn't quite understand this sorry. But this was her first and only payslip with this company. She will try and get some clarity from them tomorrow, thanks.

Advertisement