Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridley Scott's Napoleon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭the O Reilly connection

I saw this film last week. It looks like they're just trying to make a joke out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The director is English so probably it's to be expected really to dust off all the old stereotypes. It got thumbs down from French critics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I watched it tonight. Not so much a historical film, but more a soap opera with some CGI type battle scenes. The cinematography was fine and most actors tried their best but the narrative was too unfocused and perhaps would have been better as a TV series to allow the full extent of Napoleon's multifaceted character to shine through. Rating 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I haven’t seen it yet. From what I’ve read in the French press, the film generally was excoriated in France. People were disappointed but not very surprised having already seen the trailers. Several critics/ historians mentioned the audience laughing at parts that were ‘embarrassingly’ bad and/or ‘ridiculous’, and the historians went to town on the omissions and errors. Several quoted Scott’s interview with (the London) Times and used it as an excuse  for the errors "When I have a problem with historians, I ask, 'Excuse me, buddy, were you there? No? So shut the F up."

Napoleon is not a very prominent figure in French life, there are very few streets named after him – one is in Rueil-Malmaison west of Paris, but that’s because of Josephine's chateau, there is only a tiny street (more of a lane) in Paris, one in Corsica. Surprising really, when one considers that most of the world drives on the right and has house numbers due to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,050 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this on Apple TV streaming yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Joaquin phoenix ruins films. What a strange actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

That was just awful. Learned nothing about the man, his strategic genius, his popularity, or pretty much anything else about the period.

It was a 2 hour snoozefest where Phoenix mumbled his way through while staring at Kirby's fajita.

1/5, would rather get a prostate exam.

Advertisement