Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep sponges

Options
  • 10-07-2023 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭

Wondering is anyone using either Morlam or Chronogest sponge and how they found them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

used chronogest last year ,worked fine ,have them again this year but not used yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

I didn't know that there was an alternative to chronogest tbh , I only had 20 ewes sponged ,which might have been too many for the ram ,as nearly half of them repeated but the sponges still synced the cycle ,just didn't hold .I could have taken out half sponges on 12th day and the other half on 14th I suppose .

last year was my first year sponging ,father used to do it years ago so fine tuning the process

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I sponged 10 ewes this year..had 2 rams and all were tipped within 12 hours of rams going in..3 have repeated in the past couple of days..is that slightly disappointing ? What kind of numbers usually hold first service for any of the lads on here that sponge?

10 probably too small a sample for a proper reading?

How many days after the service did the ewes repeat, there is a lot of factors involved the breed, time of ram in, the heat when rams are working, fertility of rams, etc

• Advertisement

2 repeated on day 17..1 2 days later later

Rams initially went in 36 hours after removing the sponges..repeats were 1 from 1 ram and 2 from the other..

The timing of the repeats would be right on the 17 days for repeating, we put the rams in at 18 hours as some might come earlier, also was any of the sponges dis coloured on removal.

Sorry meant 24 hours we put the ram in with the ewes.

None discoloured that I noticed but I didn't do much looking at them to be honest

Advertisement