Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai Flights - Lufthansa Via Munich

Options
  • 10-07-2023 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi guys.

We were planning a trip to Thailand or Mexico in March next year, but have decided to go to Dubai & Abu Dhabi instead for ten nights as the flights and accommodation are considerably cheaper than two weeks in either of the aforementioned places would cost (I realise Dubai is more expensive when we get there).

Looking at flights and going with Lufthansa via Munich (instead of direct with Emirates) is about €500 cheaper for our dates (in total for the 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 kids).

Has anyone done these indirect flights with Lufthansa before and care to share their experience? Wondering if I should stump up the extra €500 as travelling with kids, but the layover times aren't too bad with the Lufthansa flights so unsure what to do.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I haven't done that particular route with Lufthansa but I have transferred with Lufthansa in Frankfurt and Munich a good few times. I've never had any issues with them. One time my inbound flight to Germany was late in and I didn't have much time to make my connecting flight to Ireland. I was met at the gate by a Lufthansa staff member who put me to the front of the queue for security screening and brought me straight to the gate for my flight to Dublin. Couldn't ask for more than that. If you're not hanging around for hours on end in the airport waiting on connections I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

I did DUB <-> Schengen many times and would rate MUC as one of the best if not the best airport for connections I ever used. DUB to non-Schengen must be even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Cheers for the replies so far guys.

One other question for ye - if we choose the direct route - I read on the Emirates website that children under 13 are guaranteed to be seated next to an accompanying adult.

I presume this means if we don't pay for specific assigned seats before check-in that we could be split up (i.e. 2 of us could be in one part of the plane while the other 2 could be somewhere else)?

I'm not overly bothered by that so long as there is a guarantee that each kid would be beside one of us.

I don't see the point in wasting €200+ on pre-selected seats if that's the case - we'll be spending enough when we're out there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

if you don’t pay for seats then 1 adult will be seated with the kids. The other could be anywhere. Could be right next to them or other end of plane. (Not necessarily a bad thing 🤣 )

Advertisement