Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport pic for special needs child unable to remain perfectly still...is there a procedure?

Options
  • 10-07-2023 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

We discovered recently that our little fella's passport is due expiry and we need to renew it and I'm naturally trying the online method as I don't have 2+ months to play paperchase with

Unfortunately he just cannot perform for the camera in the way normally expected i.e. perfectly still centered etc.

We've tried twice now with a couple of different photo places but it's no go, we get told that "the system will never accept these pics" maddening thing is they look pretty ok to us. naturally he's aware of what is going on of course and the more we try I reckon the worse it gets understandable as he's surely getting upset about it all

I'm thinking there has to be some kind of procedure for a child who cannot stay laser still and pose perfectly to access the Passport renewal service in a reasonable way?

anyone had to go thru this and know how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

It’s hard enough to get it right when someone is able to follow directions so you have my sympathy. I imagine there has to be something that can be done as you are not alone in this. There are disabilities that mean the standard requirements for the photo cannot be adhered to. I’d contact the passport office directly about it.

Not sure if this helps but for online applications you can take the photo with your phone using a blank wall behind. They give the guidelines on the site re requirements. I have no idea of your situation but might it be possible to have your child watching a toy/TV… with a blank wall behind and try catch a headshot multiple times. The online portal checks if the photo is acceptable.

I hope it works out soon for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

We did our kids photos this time using an app on the phone like mentioned above and it worked well. They had settings for pretty much every country in the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

thanks all

so I ended up doing a set of my own at home with the good camera, after several goes I got the online application system to accept one of them!!

it was 90% perfect

BUT crucially there's a tickbox during the process where you can declare if there is a slight imperfection (per se) like our photo might have

"Important: If for medical reasons you cannot supply a passport photo that meets our requirements, please tick this box "

hopefully there won't be hassles, it should be obvious enough to whomever is reviewing the application, I'll report back later when issued and in hand (or if there are hurdles ahead)

Advertisement