Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Teaching with a Food Science Degree

Options
  • 10-07-2023 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Everyone,

I applied through Hibernia to do a PME (Secondary School Teaching) and have had my application rejected as they don’t think my modules meet the specific criteria to teach the subjects I have selected (Biology and Chemistry).

I have a level 8 Bachelor of Science in Food Science from UCC.

My question is has anyone had a similar issue or known anyone to go on and do secondary school teaching with a degree in Food Science?

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The only way to be sure is to ask the TC. Think they can assess your subjects for €200. I know someone teaching science and biology with a degree in nutrition, so it might be possible, or they might say you have to do extra courses with the Open University or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Conny6

Thanks Dory, spoke to the TC and Hibernia and can’t seem to really get a definitive answer from either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You need to grease the TC's palm before you get an answer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KAD2005

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation myself, I have a degree in Food Science & Nutrition.. I'm hoping to go on and teach science & biology. Did you get an more answers from the TC? I haven't applied yet but from looking at the subject declaration form I'm not sure my subjects meet the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Platnium

• Advertisement
Advertisement