Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife's 2nd car: Should she insure it (on max bonus with 1st car) or should I (1st car named driver)

Options
  • 10-07-2023 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can I get some advise please?

My wife is the main insured person on our family car - in maximum bonus already.

She now needs a bangernomics car for commuting.

I'm only a named driver on her policy (since 10+ years now), but I've no bonus under my own name. (I've a motorbike insurance with a few years of bonus on it)

Given these circumstances, who should insure this 2nd car - for cheaper insurance - please? (the other will be a named driver on it)

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

The insurance should be in the name of whoever drives the car most.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, your wife will not be able to use her no-claims discount on a 2nd car so you might as well insure the car she is proposing to buy, assuming it will be a smaller car than the one she has now. That way, you can build up a no-claims discount in your own right.

And if you ever revert back to one car, what you do then is to flip the insurance every year one to the other, that way you can each maintain your individual no-claims discount.

It doesn't matter which of you drives either car the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get quotes for both of you as main driver in both cars. Considering that you don't have an NCD, you do have named driver experience which should get you some discount, and she does you have to find the cheapest way to insure both cars.

Even if it's a banger get fully comp quotes and don't value less than €5k

Advertisement