Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You were Forced by an Online Merchant Overseas or Here in Ireland to use PayPal Would you use it?

Options
  • 10-07-2023 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Darth Randomer

Explain your reasoning. Don't snark another posters reasoning or be snarky in general.

No: I wanted to buy a purple scapular from an american catholic website but they were forcing me into using PayPal. I declined.

I've used xtremeinn online and a certain well known local hobby store here to buy stuff without this paypal coercian.

If You were Forced by an Online Merchant Overseas or Here in Ireland to use PayPal Would you use it? 20 votes

Yes
    90%
    lostboy75xabiCrookedJackdohouchxeresodGSBellewRoboRatbluezulu49Shoognewmember2dontmindmejoujoujou[Deleted User]RJellybeanAnRotharPadre_PioAntipatheticEzeoul 18 votes
    No
    10%
    Tootsz80CPU 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I couldn't be 'forced' to use Paypal as I use it by default. You were not forced either, if you don't like a merchant's terms, go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PayPal is grand and handy.

The vendor decides their business model, that's it end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes

Paypal is the most secure and straightforward way to make online payments. I have been using it for over a decade and have never had any issues with it. Its a great service which has made my life considerably easier and more secure, only when there isn't a paypal payment method do I have to worry whether the payment method they offer is secure and safe.

Yes

I'd be delighted if they offered PayPal as an option.

Safe and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yes

Absolutely. If PayPal is an option, I will use it for the extra protection you get as a consumer. Most sites will allow you to pay with your credit card using PayPal so you don't need to have an account... it's no different from Stripe, Realex/ Global Payments etc as it's just an online payment system.

From a retailer's point of view, PayPal is more expensive but it's easy to set up, easy to use, and it's trustworthy. A lot of e-commerce sites such as Shopify have PayPal functionality built-in, so it's very easy to set up for those who may not be very technical.

If you don't like PayPal, just shop elsewhere, but I can't see why you would have an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Yes

Saw the thread title and thought oh no what's worrying about using PayPal that I hadn't heard of, and it seems it's nothing. I have been using it for years and never had an issue, it's by far my preferred option for an online purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes

One fantastic thing about Paypal is that you can link US credit cards like American Express, which no one in Europe accepts.

So yes, I prefer Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yes

I'd rather be worried if they forced me not to use paypal. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yes

I have been using Paypal online for at least two decades and have never had any problems with it. A couple of times I got refunds for items which were not received as per their buyers protection, and in some cases where I returned items, they refunded return postage as well. Why would you not use Paypal if it was available?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a bit surprised that the response to Paypal is all positive, it was fashionable at one point (and maybe still is) to gripe about how unreliable they are. I have never had any issues with them, excellent service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement