Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding Lawn

Options
  • 09-07-2023 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all, we're in new build and we were never happy with the garden. Recently we dug up the garden, turned it and removed the weeds. We then reseeded it. This what it looks like currently. I was just wondering does it look ok? Its still a bit patchy in places as you can see. Should we cut it now, I was thinking maybe with a strimmer? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

Grass looks healthy-looks like it was, seeded by hand. I'd leave it for now, let it grow and in the Autumn, I'd do an overseeding on it. The first year of a lawn, you'll never be happy, just needs a bit of time to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭coil1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

This is my father's lawn today, gave it a scarify and a reseed about 5 weeks ago, had to seed by hand, but threw out the seed at right angles I. E. walk north to south throwing, then east to west. Few patchy bits where the neighbours dog came in but they'll be fine. Ill see how it is in September,might need a overseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

Don't use a strimmer whatever you do.

Let the grass establish and grow it to a decent height before cutting with a lawnmower set to max height.

Overseed then in September.

(Applying organic fertiliser a couple of months after my own seeding really helped in my case. It's not generally recommended to do this with new grass but something to consider if your soil is poor and the grass is struggling in spots.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There's some bumpy bits in my back garden where i removed an old tree a couple of years ago and did a bad job levelling . I'm thinking of re-digging, levelling and reseeding, should be Ok to do at this time of year?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

I am also interested in reseeding my relatively small garden. Its like cattle walked though it at the moment. Looks flat but uneven under foot. Is this a good time to do it? Any video I could follow? Ho2w would I get it even? One of those large rakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭coil1985

Did the first cut of the reseeded lawn yesterday. Highest setting on mower. Looks good apart from one spot in the corner. Will cut a few more times and then do the over-seeding in late September as mentioned above.

Advertisement