Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife making

Options
  • 08-07-2023 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

This may not be the correct forum but I right it could be a good place to start.

I have wanted to learn knife making for years but have never known how get started with it. I see a lot of 1 and 2 day courses and several online courses but most are forging courses. I don't have access to a forge so not really something I can do at home. I was more into the grinding method.

Anybody any idea how I could set about learning this, I.e. courses, online etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Best thing to do for a start is abrasive wheels training if you have no experience with equipment (only takes a few hours and covers safety etc) where are you based, there is a festival in Banagher you can have a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm based in Galway. The festival looks good, I might go. The wife is from offaly, I could drop her home for the day.

I have no experience with abrasive wheels or similar tools in general. I done a manual filing course about 30 years ago in FAS, used mining machines, lathes etc. I'll have a look for beginners courses. Is there a FAS equivalent these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

You can check fetchcourses.ie there should be some courses listed in your local etb(enterprise training board)It’s a basic course covering safety, wheel types and so on, it’s worth looking at, there’s definitely going to be plenty of knowledgeable lads that will point you in the right direction in banagher next weekend

Advertisement