Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know of a really good bicycle-repair shop Dublin Southside?

Options
  • 08-07-2023 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I need to have a problem with a constant rattle in the back wheel sorted. I left it into my local bike shop and they fixed everything (new chain, cassette and freewheel) except the problem and charged me €170. I'm reluctant to trust them to do any more. The rattle was the same as when I left the bike in, and now they suggest a new back wheel!

Tagged:

Answers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bee cycles , joe Daly are 2 that get recommended. D2 bikes are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Joe Daly in Dundrum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bee cycle and the bike rack are two I would stand over. Did your shop say anything about the rattle? Might not be something that can be fixed. I'd certainly bring it back if that's what you asked to be fixed, certainly give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BillyMacE

Thanks Weepsie, mazdamiatamx5 and CramCycle. Joe Daly and Bee Cycle have two votes so I'll try one (or both) of these first. And yes CramCycle, the first shop suggested that a new back wheel was needed. I wasn't convinced the work they had done was necessary, so my faith in them was gone and I didn't want to chance "throwing good money after bad". I just am putting it down to experience and moving on. I really appreciate all the recommendations from you all though, so thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

When you say rattle, does it happen when the bike is moving? One thing I'd try is to pluck each of the spokes to make sure they're in tension in case one of the spoke nipples has broken and could be rattling around inside the rim. But a bike shop should have spotted that almost instantly.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion magicbastarder. No, it's definitely not the spokes.it is there when moving on the bike (i.e. bike carrying weight) and moving, even when freewheeling. "Rattle" mightn't be the best description of the noise as I think it caused by the wheel rotating when carrying weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Bike Rack are the best around Dun Laoghaire IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd recommend Joe Daly's also. The big question is - are you sure where the rattle is coming from?

Is it from the wheel, or maybe the bottom bracket or pedals, or maybe the seat post? Half the battle is trying to track down the actual source of problems like this.

Thanks CJay1 for the Bike Rack pointer and also AndrewJRenko. Yes, it's difficult to pinpoint the actual source of the rattle but it's definitely not the seat post and I doubt if it's the bracket either. I might see if I can persuade the bike shop to switch on another ratio-compatible back wheel and test to see if the rattle persists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What gearset is it? 9/10/11x and where are you based and is it rim or disc brake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

not sure whereabouts southside you are but I've never failed with the lads up on Rochestown Avenue

is it a regular "pushbike" or does it have fancy electrics integrated? reason I ask is my mrs had one couple years ago and the "rattle-y" noise turned out to be something loose trapped inside the frame tubing itself, unresolvable

Thanks CramCycle & martco. The Chainring is 50/34 and the casette 10 sprocket 28/12. It's a regular road bike (felt 85). I presume you mean the BikeRack martco. Anyhow, thanks again for the advice and interest. I'll go ahead and try get a solution and will post up the details if I get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just putting in a good word for Expert Cycles in Rathfarnham. World champion level mechanic in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you bounce the bike up/down, can you hear the rattle?

Not THE rattle. Plenty of other though 07Lapierre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just got my bike back from Penny Farthing on Camden street after a chain/cassette/pedal/disc brake pad replacement and general service.

Bike is like new. In fact I'd almost go so far as to say it's better than new. Absolutely delighted with it.

Thanks too Enduro. High praise, so I'll definitely keep as an option.

A bit off-topic o1s1n. Do you mind sharing the cost?

Advertisement