Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methodist burials

Options
  • 08-07-2023 8:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a Halloran family at the moment and not getting very far.

This is due in part to them only having one child that married but perhaps also due to them being Methodist.

What I'd really like to know is where the parents and unmarried children were buried but none of the usual sources have turned up anything and even the few death notices I've found don't mention place of burial.

The family are John Halloran (d. 1885 Dublin) and his wife Eliza Griffith (b. Kilkenny d. 1938 Dublin) who were married in St. Peter's Church, Dublin (the Pepper Canister) in 1868 and their six children: Martha Susannah (1866-1869), Margaret (b. 1868), Joseph William (1874-1940) married Agnes Pelly, Elizabeth (1876-1953), Susan Maud (1882-1965), and John (d. 1955).

John Halloran may have been from Freshford but I can't confirm this.

Eliza Griffith's family were from Kilrush, Co. Kilkenny.

Any suggestions?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think Methodists usually have their own cemeteries.

Mount Jerome is the usual Protestant place, but you want to try other church yards in the city centre or outskirts (Clontarf, Drumcondra). Have you looked for death notices for the 20th century folk?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

Joseph William that died 1940

There is a death notice in the Irish Independent May 6th 1940

Joseph William Halloran died May 4th

31 Beach Road Sandymount, aged 65,

to Glasnevin

could that be him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks pinky.

Searching FMP without a subscription I can see Irish Times death notices for two of the unmarried children (1953 & 1955) and neither appears to mention where they are buried.

The son who married converted to Catholicism in 1903 and is buried with his wife in Glasnevin.

The father was a servant/ coachman and moved around a lot - Kilkenny when they married, Kildare for the births of the older children and Dublin for the births of the youngest two - so I can't say for sure where he was from.

A note on my great uncle's chart says he was from Freshford but I can only confirm the wife was from there.

I have yet to contact Mount Jerome so that might yield something.

EDIT: Thanks Gem, yes that's the lad that got married - it's the burial details for the other five who died unmarried and the parents that are proving elusive!

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you email Mt Jerome with dates, they will tell you if a person is buried there or not and give a grave number. They only charge if you want more details or photos.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Actually thought I'd already contacted them re this family but I've checked and not so apparently.

I'll be doing that Monday - they're great to deal with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Mount Jerome have replied and the mother and three younger children are indeed buried there.

There is a John Halloran buried there in 1885 but it's a common grave with no marker so that leaves a certain amount of doubt.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Fantastic! I do wish Mt Jerome would put a database up. I bet I'd find lots of people I'm looking for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

You could look at the Microfiche of the Mount Jerome registers (up to mid 1972) in Pearse Street Library - the original entry with address might be of help seeing if it is the correct John Halloran?

Thanks BowWow - that's one source I wasn't aware of.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I forgot that.

IGP also has some records but I find them hard to use.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

The Mount Jerome records in Pearse Street (DCLA) are copies from Family Search.

You can look up the Family Search ones at this link -

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/229851?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Some of the tapes are not transcribed on FS, but those that are can save you a lot of time when you look at the index. I was able to go to DCLA with a list of Names , Dates, etc. Booked a time slot and the Microfiche tapes were there ready for me. Got all the Plot references from them. Nearly 40 years since I use one of those machines, but it all came back to me :-)

It would be a great resource if Ancestry or FMP was to digitise the FS originals.

Yes, IGP is very good for Mount Jerome, but only if there is a headstone. Also very hard if there is a headstone to work out where the actual plot is. The later entries to IGP do give the sub area details.

Great info again BowWow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

And a quick search for John confirms that he is wife of Eliza and born about 1846 so more than likely the right man.

Brilliant!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement