Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Cooling Off Period - Cancelling before Installation

Options
  • 06-07-2023 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Recently ordered Eir Broadband & a basic TV package bundle. Long story shortish, installer came out today to install broadband but couldn't because he said the connection point Eir had tagged the house to (house is a new build in a new estate) was in the next door estate but there were two connection points within 5 yards of the house that should be used but couldn't because of how the house was tagged to the connection point further away in the next door estate. Seems a strange reason but the Eircode when typed into Google Maps brings you to the next door estate as basically this new estate is not showing on google maps and instead it is showing as a greenspace (which has since been built on).

Rang Eir about this today and was passed back and forth (usual useless customer care) and they said the installer didn't give a reason for not being able to install. Lo & behold an hour later I get a text & email informing me they will perform installation next week (so a second attempt at an installation which will be 15 days after I ordered it).

I am half expecting the same issue arising next week with the installation and cannot go another week or two without broadband. I plan to go with a different provider.

Eirs T&Cs mention a 14 day cooling off period, but it seems to be be 14 days from the date the service was installed (it hasn't yet been installed). I have then read elsewhere (online and not on Eir website) where it says it is 14 days from when the contract is signed (which was last week technically).

If I cancel before they try install again next week, will I be covered by the 14 day cooling off period? Or am I screwing myself up because it could be argued that the 14 day cooling off period only applies from when the service is installed and I am cancelling before that (so arguably do not fall under 14 day cooling off period). I asked today but they kept dodging the question!!

On a related sidenote, it does say if you cancel within the 14 day cooling off period you are liable for any costs incurred during that period along with the diminished value of any goods or services provided to you (modem potentially?), so they probably end up getting their pound of flesh.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

You can always request to cancel broadband order without penalty as long as it's still pending and wasn't activated yet. They don't bill you either until it's active.

But cancelling it may not end up any faster. Most providers use the same cables. And usually the same crowd comes to install it. So switching from Eir to Sky or VF may have the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thanks, I probably plan to go with Virgin who are properly set-up in the estate already and the Eir installer even mentioned that.

It is more about avoiding Eir playing silly buggers and trying to charge me in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 liongard822

What are the contact details to cancel with Eir in this situation? I have similar problem.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

Normally you just call 1901, and enter your account number. Phone bot should detect you have a pending order and will offer to direct you to the department that looks after orders.

Your account number is sent to your email when you signed up assuming correct email was entered.

Advertisement