Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing damaged wooden floor

Options
  • 06-07-2023 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

The kitchen - living room has a wooden floor that has been damaged by the dogs scraping. The damage is confined to the kitchen floor next to the presses.

To get it planed and fixed up would probably require taking out all the living room furniture and doing the whole surface.

Im wondering if there are other options. The damaged area is just ~1 metre out from the kitchen units all the way around so I considered putting kitchen tiles in there, but it would need to be done under the cooker etc and I’m leaning against that idea. Has anyone ever repaired part of a wooden floor before? In my mind, it would be okay if this part looks different from the rest of the room because it would act as a divide between the kitchen and living room(in theory at least)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Pic of the worst part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the floor was sanded and varnished it would be like new

Any point trying to repair the kitchen part on its own though? I would prefer to if possible to keep the cost down.

There is no divider to the living room though, it's open plan.. so they're sharing the floor :)

Do you think the kitchen area can be repaired in isolation or it needs the whole kitchen and living room done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The whole floor in my opinion, otherwise you'll see a patch where the repair was made and it will look off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one option could be to just do the kitchen, and put something like a saddle board between the kitchen and living room to cover the transition between the refinished kitchen surface and original living room surface - but that's not exactly ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could you do it in two stages? I.e. do the kitchen first, wait a bit, move all the living room furniture in to the kitchen and then do the living room? Shouldn't be too difficult to get a good blend at the interface if they're done soon after one another I'd have thought, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Sanding could be the first piece of advice here but before starting it, you should try to apply fine-grain sandpaper on a small patch to know the results. By the way, if your floor has a polyurethane finish, then it is going to be a tough job for you. In that case, you will have to use a scouring pad in mineral spirits. You can also buffer the floor to fix the discoloration problem.

Later, you can simply apply varnish.

Advertisement