Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey for Mid terrace 2 bed 06/07 build 76 SQM

Options
  • 06-07-2023 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Had a look through but couldn't really see any threads on cost.

Just had one quote in around 350, That seem ok for the size?

No chimney or garage, loft not converted etc. Pretty basic

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't do them for less than 450 and at that they really don't pay considering write up etc.

I'd imagine you could only get a very basic Inspection for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Ok, so then is the norm to have a tiered approach to surveying? Not being funny, just clueless as to the service. I guess cost would be reflective of property size though right? ie 2 BED MID T -V- 5 BED DETACHED.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A bit, but not a lot. The majority of the costs go into travel (time and mileage), time on site, time spent writing up the report, and ultimately the survey has to cover insurance/equipment/expertise too. If someone quoted 500 for a 5 bed detached, chances are a 2 bed mid-terrace would still be maybe 450.

There are different types of building survey too, with different levels of investigation/reporting.

Are they legally binding too? You'd hope so right? If surveyor said fine, all good with house and house fell down a week later scenario, but not that extreme...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Larger houses I would quote at 500 plus.

It's down to what you are getting for your money.

I include planning file Inspection and therefore list any planning issues noted at the property.

I also list building regulation non compliance. Considering the various changes throughout the years, this needs to be carefully written up.

I also do a boundary check against land registry and site layout as per planning permission.

At 350, it would have to be basic end of things in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The survey will have all sorts of legal caveats in it, particularly because in the majority of surveys, the inspection is visual only. They can only report on what's visible. They're not going to be drilling into walls to check wall ties, opening up floors to check the floor joists etc. This is because when you're in the process of buying the house, a) you don't own it yet so the surveyor can't disturb any existing finishes or carry out any opening-up works, and b) chances are if someone is selling the house they've likely painted/plastered over a few cracks here and there.

The surveyors report will detail what they saw, and also what they couldn't inspect (eg. if the ground floor is a suspended timber floor, they might say that they had no access to the subfloor and so can't comment on whether there is rot in the joists etc). They'll advise of certain items that may warrant further inspection after you've bought the house. But yes, if it turns out there's something they should reasonably have noticed as part of the survey, then they can possibly be held liable for not mentioning it in the report. Hence why these reports aren't cheap and aren't dependent on how big the house is; it's more about charging for an experienced and qualified professional to spend enough time on site and writing the report, and also covering themselves with regards insurances and professional membership. You're paying for them to put their name and qualifications on a report detailing any issues with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’ve had two done recently - both on approx 80sq mt houses and in two different provincial towns. Approx €550 inc VAT each. I was quite impressed with the detail on both and didn’t go ahead with either purchase based on the reports. Both reports contained plenty of legal caveats which is fair enough given that they are non-intrusive inspections!

Got the report done during the week, looked from my understanding pretty much basic, there was nothing majorly wrong. One thing I did think off that was not noted was that there's outside lights in the garden, looks to be standard 3 core cable you'd get on an extension lead. I know exterior cable like this can get weathered and damaged easily, it's tacked to the walls. Shouldn't that be a particular type of cable to be more robust from the elements.

Also, does that need to be signed of by an electrician if they put it in themselves? Should that be noted in the survey?

The electric shower did not work, might be totally broke or an easy fix, do people when buying mention this to the seller or the solicitors?

Advertisement