Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Restrictor Kit

Options
  • 06-07-2023 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I need to have my CBF500 restricted to 35Kw to comply with my licence (currently a Learner Permit). I can buy a kit online from JKMoto for €67 and if I supply the VIN it will come with a Certificate. I will have to fit the kit myself.

The question is; will this certificate satisfy, (a), the Driving Tester, (b), an officious Garda, or (c), an insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

This sounds like something to call an insurance company to ask.

No one on here will be able to give you a proper answer as we could say one thing and then when you are stopped, it could not be the case.

I would imagine, they'd want the kit fitted and signed off on by a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Correct me if im wrong. But your post reads that you're fitting the restrictor because you've a learner permit rather than a full licence?

Not needed if you're over 24 (judging by your other thread you probably are!) with a category A learner permit.

Post edited by teediddlyeye on

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

No, I'm doing an 'A2' Category test. When I turned 70 and had to change from a 10-year licence to a 3-year one they added Category 'A' to my licence. I thought "Great!" until I looked more closely and discovered that it was endorsed with the code 79/03, meaning I could ride bikes of unrestricted power.......provided they had three wheels. I thought that was an insult and decided to get an 'A2' licence and upgrade to a proper 'A' licence by progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You should just do the A test... There's literally no difference except you can ride all bikes with an A. The test is exactly the same... Doing an A2 will not be any easier and means you'll need to wait two years to do the progression at extra cost

I'm not sure I can do an A test straight off, as I already have an A, but restricted to 3-wheelers. That's why I planned to do A2 first.

Can't find any info online regarding just doing an A to remove the 79/03 endorsement.

• Advertisement

Just to add to my last comment: You have a point , Bluefoam, going straight to the A test would remove the need to fit a restrictor kit to my bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forget about the 79.03, they've put that on all Class B licences issued since trikes were reclassified under Class A. Regarding that as an insult is a bit strange.

There is nothing stopping you getting a class A leaner permit and that's what you should do tbh. But you will need a bigger bike to do IBT and test.

Life ain't always empty.

It implies that I don't have the capacity to stay upright on two wheels.

My Learner permit covers A, A2 and A1, so no problem doing A- Class IBT and applying for an A-Class test. The only problem is that my bike is a CbF500. At 485cc and 42Kw it's outside A2 classification, but not big enough for A. I suppose I would have to do the test on a school bike. The cost of familiarisation rides and hire on test day would probably be less than the cost of fitting and certification of a restrictor kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It implies that I don't have the capacity to stay upright on two wheels.

It really really really doesn't.

My wife got 79.03 when she renewed her licence, she's never ridden a bike or trike in her life.

You said you needed to get your bike restricted to comply with your licence and now you say you have a class A leaner permit, so actually you don't.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

Good point. I can drive my bike unrestricted on the learner permit. I hadn't thought that one through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement