Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel medical card

Options
  • 06-07-2023 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone ever cancelled their medical card before? Mine has automatically renewed but I got a new job last year and don't believe I am eligible anymore, I presumed they would ask me for another means test when renewing but that doesnt seem to be the case. Im worried now that I may owe them money now as I shouldn't have it.

If anyone has cancelled, what questions and evidence were asked for when cancelling eg when was new employment started etc

Any help greatly appreciated as stressing about this

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You don’t owe them any money. Just because you’ve started work doesn’t mean you’re not entitled any more.

Some out goings they take into account include:

your rent/mortgage

your house insurance costs

your childcare costs

your travelling to work costs.

It may be the case that even though you’re now working, you may still qualify for a medical card or at least a GP card.

Eventually they will write to you and ask you if your circumstances have changed. You won’t owe any money, it doesn’t work like that. If you feel anxious about it give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭hawthorne

You have to report any change in your circumstances as soon as they happen. You had a change of circumstances if you was unemployed and got a job since. A change of circumstances did not happen if you only moved from one job to another new job with roughly the same pay.

This link tells you all there is to know about the issue:

How much you can earn and still qualify for a medical card - HSE.ie

With all this info at hand you can easily do a means test yourself and see what the story is. I would do nothing further if your own test shows that you still qualify. I would contact them at once if the test shows that you do not qualify for the standard medical card anymore. You probably still qualify for the "Doctor only card".

There is a big chance that you have to pay back some money to the HSE if it turns out that you did not qualify for the standard card anymore for a while already. Any HSE service you used since the change will be looked at and decided about.

If you did not use any of the HSE services since you got the job, there is absolutely nothing to be paid back from your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

Thanks for both replies. But 2 opposite answers🙈 pretty sure I won't qualify for med card anymore. I have 2 sick people in my house who have regular doctor visits as well as lots of meds. So even the costs over a few months will be high to pay back. But I'll have to bite the bullet and see I suppose

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I reapplied a few years years ago when I started working. I still got the card but they were completely baffled that I had done so. They kept telling me on the phone that my card was valid till x date but if I reapplied and lost the card I’d have to cover my medical costs myself which are substantial. Sometimes I am a bit too honest but in my case I was still eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Based on OP specific question, there is no need to be alarmed. Medical Cards can be retained for a, period of time if, see below 👇

Your card was likely automatically renewed based on pandemic issues & few reviews took place for almost 2 years. There'll be absolutely no money owed as @TooTired123 correctly said, that's not how it works.

Simply contact them & whilst your circumstances have changed it's likely you'll retain the MC for a period of time.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement