Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate roof replacement

Options
  • 05-07-2023 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭

We're looking at getting our original slate roof replaced on our 1920s house. Roof is roughly 8.5 x 5.5 m, not sure if the shape is awkward or not, I've drawn it below.

Would be replacing slates with synthetic ones to match the neighbours, replace battens, new membrane, lead valley and gutters.

Got a quote for €14k with no breakdown and I'm a bit cautious. Neighbours got theirs done a few years ago for €6k, roofer claims costs have gone up but that seems extreme. Originally called him out just to replace a fallen slate and he insisted he would have to do a proper job (it's got many more issues in fairness, not leaking though) and to make it sound would be €2k+, so might as well replace the whole thing.

We're under no illusions it needs replacing which we were planning on doing as part of a renovation this year or next, but I'm not liking on how he worked from the immediate issue of a fallen slate to replacing the whole thing. Missing slate hasn't even been replaced.

Any ballpark ideas of what this should cost?

Advertisement