Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has everyone gone?

Options
  • 05-07-2023 6:26am

There was a big push to get this sub forum set up and it got a bit of traffic at the start especially from a handful of passionate posters but only about 20 posts in the last year.

What has happened to have killed the passion for this topic?

Comments

The move to the new system killed it. Same with a lot of forums here. A lot are dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Anyone else having issues I am trying to find topics I type in the search bar and the page won't load

I don't know about lack of loading, but the search functionality on Vanilla (the new system) is, well, crap

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This. Plus the tedium of constantly having to deal with the same small handful of posters who seem to take the existence of this forum as a personal affront.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Whatever about the site move issues, I think a lot of subforums actually hurt the site too, it just dilutes the posters. Look at this family category, 4 subforums and 5 more subsubforums in parenting. A lot should be consolidated, some forums are never needed in the first place, probably even this one, handful of threads with little posts in two years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a topic that runs out of steam fairly quickly, i'd have thought. you talk about the reaction of certain people or certain sections of society to you not having kids, people share a few stories, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The original enthusiasts all got pregnant perhaps??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

The site search doesn't work, finding forums is a challenge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's this. I don't feel there's a huge amount to say and what is said gets repetitive. There's also a divide between couples who decide not to have kids and single people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Search bar not working so can find any new posts only way I can finds posts I was following is through my bookmarks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

People are too busy enjoying their childfree lives to post. Only exhausted parents have the scope to use boards as their main eater of free minutes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So having children gives you free time, and being childless means you too busy....

Ermmmm.....

Ok?

Appreciate all the replies. just found it strange that there was such a huge push to get this sub forum set up and it was so busy at the start before dying back to now only being a handful of posts every few months.

A part of me wondered if some of these posters met someone and changed their stance which is something I’ve seen many times. Same kind of thing you hear from single people saying they are not getting married until they finally meet someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought it was an odd one for a forum myself and didn't think it would last too long (like many other forums). Probably would have been better as a thread somewhere else

It was going great until the vanilla switchover

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i doubt people changing their stance was a factor. i shared a couple of stories when it first appeared IIRC, but once i've shared those, there's not a lot else in terms of developments i would have to share; and that'd be the same with a lot of other people i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I doubt anyone has changed their stance, tbh. I certainly haven't. As Faith said, it just got exhausting constantly having to defend that stance to a certain cohort who just can't seem to help themselves. I have never, ever told anyone with children that their decision to do so was wrong/misguided/ill-informed, whatever. But some people (and a number of regular visitors to this forum) seem to see the decision to be child-free as a direct attack on their decision to have children and respond to any discussion accordingly. It's a bit bizarre, tbh.

i suspect the debate is in the process of being resurrected!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I realised that I hadn't popped in for some time and I'd no idea where to even find the forum. I don't think the current site layout is doing it any favours.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nor is the forum being placed in between the "Parenting" and "Adoption" forums, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

I don't have experience of the old site so can't comment on that but I don't have much to say about being CF. I don't have kids, end of. What more is there to add?

I will note I don't have people in my ear all the time asking when I'm going to reproduce so I don't need a space to rant. I also don't want to be one of those people who make my decision not to have children part of my personality. I don't have kids the same way I don't have a car or a dog or a wife, it's not really worth much more discussion than that.

Advertisement