Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escooter

Options
  • 05-07-2023 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know what the story is with escooters? Are you allowed to use them on the roads now? Did new legislation come in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can ride one that is restricted in speed and power it can be used in cycle lane and roads (not recommended) but not footpaths. They are treated as ebikes legally. Anything with greater capacity will require tax, insurance and safety gear, possibly even a license according to some, however that is not legislated for yet. My take in it would be to use one of the restricted ones and if you need something more capable look into an actual scooter or motorcycle... They are much more capable and suitable for purpose. You don't want to hit a stone at speed on one of those scooters.

I borrowed one when I brought my car for a service during work hours, had to get back to the office (2km), it was excellent at that, but getting up and down curbs was dodgy, turning circle was stressful and you are in constant danger of going arse over tit. Roads weren't suitable for it, they're best in areas with loads of cycle infrastructure.

My view on it was that the wheels were too small, cockpit too cramped, but speed was good enough for what they do... That was on a Xiaomi

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Legislation is passed but the regulations have not been published. So effectively still illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

This is entirely my opinion and I could be wrong. But until specific legislation comes in referencing e-scooters, just be aware the Road Traffic Act *may* apply to *some* models of electric scooter.

The definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle makes no reference to max speed capabilities or power. It only makes reference to a vehicle that's propelled by mechanical or electrical means.

So- a model of scooter that requires you to push a few metres with your feet is started up by human means, not mechanical.

Some other models though, don't require this, and from a starting position you just press a button and off you go. That'd be the same as a motorbike imo.

Take this one for example https://locoscooters.ie/products/kugoo-kirin-m4-electric-scooter a speed of up to 45km/h. Again, not that speed matters in a legal definition. But that yoke can just be started and off you go, no need for human propulsion. There's ones without seats that do the same, and their top speed might be 25km/h. They're still wholly mechanically propelled.

That's just my two cents. You wouldn't drive a moped and go around but use the excuse "I was only going 20km/h so doesn't count"

Make sure, you get a model that requires you to push with your feet to start off. It's a technicality. But god forbid you were involved in a collision or, like last week that poor 80 year old woman died after being hit by one on Eccles street. You could be done for a driving offence.

Also, don't believe the shop. Their motive is money, like the shop above selling that yoke. All will be well 99.99% of the time. But if something were to go wrong, make sure you've a road legal one. You can't claim ignorance after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The new legislation defines the power and speed restrictions for PPTs which eScooters now are.

How you start the eScooter is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

I thought its in effect once its signed by the President which it was on the 23rd June:

What it includes on Escooters:

What the Roads Traffic and Roads Act 2023 includes:

Powered Personal Transporters (PPTs)

The Road Traffic and Roads Act 2023 creates a new vehicle category, powered personal transporters, including e-scooters and future micro-mobility devices as needed. PPTs do not require registration, motor tax, insurance or a driving licence to use on Irish roads.

The power, weight and design speed of PPTs are capped at:

• Maximum continuous rated power output of up to 500 W
    • Maximum net weight of 25 kg (battery included)
    • Maximum design speed of up to 25 km/hr

and for Ebikes which it looks like doesn't come into affect until next year?:

New classification of e-bikes capable of speeds above 25km/hr

• E-bikes with a power output over 250W or where the motor does not cut out at 25km/hr or continues to operate without pedalling will now be classified as an e-moped. They will be classed as mechanically propelled vehicles (MPVs), as for mopeds or motorcycles. This change brings Ireland in line with EU law.
    • E-mopeds will have to be registered, taxed and insured to be used on Irish roads and their drivers will need an AM category of licence.
    • The new rules for e-mopeds will come into effect once the administrative arrangements for registration, driver testing, driver licensing and taxation are in place, which is expected to be in Q1 2024.
    • Owners of e-mopeds, or anyone considering buying an e-moped, will not need to make any changes yet and can continue to legally use their e-moped like a pedal cycle or e-bike until then.

Link for the above:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/fe24f-ministers-welcome-significant-new-legislation-to-help-make-our-roads-safer-and-support-the-roll-out-of-improved-public-transport/#:~:text=The%20Road%20Traffic%20and%20Roads%20Act%202023%20creates%20a%20new,to%20use%20on%20Irish%20roads.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if they are legal until the rest of the process to handle enforcement is in place. Or is it legal now. It's not clear. The govt literally says both things on the same page.

Not like they'll enforce it "mostly" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mosorchat

Personally, I find your comment quite vague in the current law and its interpretation regarding electric motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The current law isn't vague as they are completely illegal, the issue is that we don't enforce our laws. Don't confuse laws with enforcement.

I didn't mention enforcement. The law was passed though. The question is when did/does it come into effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

it won't come into effect until the Minister signs the Regulations - that hasn't happened yet, and is (supposed) to happen by the end of the year.

Until then, they're illegal, simples.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Are regulations different to legislation? If so why does one require the other to make it legal? Is that enshrined somewhere? Might be duh question, but I'll ask it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The regulations are the specs that make legislation work. The regulations are that PPTs can't exceed 25kph, the legislation says that PPTs are legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I heard about an elderly lady who was knocked down on a footpath in Limerick and required a hip replacement as a resukt.

These escooters are deadly. The laws need to be tightened and enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Going by the description of where he was hit it was a good bit outside the village and on 1 of 2 unlit country roads in the dark. There's also a pole down going from the image from one of the silgo paper so wasn't just a clip.

The lights on them aren't great and the rear lights may as well not be on most of the time.

I met a pair on the N21 a good bit outside Abbeyfeale coming towards me at night and for a while I couldn't make out what they were. The low dim lights made it look like a far away car, they were pretty close before I could make them out and if someone had tried to overtake me he'd have taken them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Another feckin' robot. Reported.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement