Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone on this Forum remember a show on RTÉ 2 called Deep Fried Swamp?

Options
  • 04-07-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

It aired during the early-mid ninties, I think it aired during the Summer when The Den wasn't airing. I remember it was structured just like The Den, with there being several shows airing during it's runtime and would cut back to the hosts and a puppet. It had two sequel series which aired a few years after. One called Return of The Swamp Thing in 1996 and then Swamp Shop in 1997. Rory Cobbe and Alan Shortt were the presenters on each incarnations of the show. The puppet was called Rasher Bacon.

Funnily enough, I found some older photos from RTÉ's Photographic archive for both Return of The Swamp Thing and Swamp Shop, but I have found absolutely no evidence of Deep Fried Swamp Existing. The only evidence I can find of this show is that it's listed on Wikipedia's RTÉ's Programming page, but it doesn't have any reference number for it and their is no page available for Deep Fried Swamp. However, I did find a few posters on Boards.ie talking about it. Does anyone remember this show or do they even have any kind of rare video recording of it, or is this a case of Lost Media?

Here's the picture of Return of The Swamp Thing

Here's the picture for Swamp Shop

Here's the link to the Boards.ie post

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You mean the Swamp? At least that's what I always thought it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheDudeMcDude

Oh yeah, I think it was called The Swamp once, but then it changed its name to Deep Fried Swamp and later The Swamp Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

I remember Rory Cobb and Mossy Fergusson.

I didn't remember Alan Shortt because he was the one dressed up as Mossy Fergusson. I used to watch those shows during the summer when I was a kid.

There was one called Jump Around with Joe Rooney aswell.

It was great when RTE actually put in an effort at entertaining kids instead of just showing awful kids sitcoms and rubbish with zero presenters and interaction. If I was a kid now I wouldn't be watching RTE for my kids programmes. It's been dire fora long time now.

RTE just don't bother putting in any effort anymore. Kids programmes were so much better when I was a kid. I think we were lucky to grow up in that era. The cartoons were great aswell you had Spiderman and Batman, Captain Planet and all sorts of different programs. Adults could be entertained watching kids programs back then. Kids TV is unfortunately really terrible now. If I was a kid now I just wouldn't watch it I'd just play video games instead.

I think they should have got Mossy Fergusson to present the late late show instead of Ryan Tubridy. He would have done a better job.

I unfortunately wouldn't know deep fried swamp from the swamp lol. I just vaguely remember it really. I didn't remember the puppet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

"Initially, The Den broke for the summer months, returning when children went back to school in September. From 1996 to 1997, The Swamp replaced The Den as a weekday strand during the summer. Mossy Ferguson, Rory and Rasher Bacon presented The SwampThe Swamp took place in a chip-van and later a shop. The cast were involved in plots, such as saving Rasher from an eagle and getting rid of a vampire. Skelly, a talking skeleton, made several guest appearances on the show. In 1997–1998, The Swamp was aired on Saturdays and Sundays, while The Den was broadcast on weekdays. Although The Swamp proved a successful venture, RTÉ cancelled it in May 1998, much to the disappointment of its fans.[58][59]

In its latter years, The Den remained on air during the summer. However, there were often either replacement presenters (Aidan Power and a girl called Aoileann, for example) and/or weeks when there was no live presentation.

Another earlier summer replacement for The Den aired for one summer between 26 June and 1 September 1995. This was Jump Around, presented by Joe Rooney with the assistance of Agnes Detortois."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Den_programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newtolaw

I was just talking about Jump Around with Joe Rooney! It had all the 70's 80's shows my husband is 12 years older than me and so different generations television wise so I watched all his shows on Jump Around such as The Brady Bunch, The Monkees, Mary Tyler Moore, Dallas, Mork & Mindy. I also remember it was a hot summer that year - 1995.

• Advertisement
Advertisement