Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish versus Ordinary Irish - is there a big gap in workload, or same but easier exam ?

Options
  • 04-07-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

My son is going into 5th year and is thinking about dropping to Pass Irish so he can give more time to other subjects that he will be pushing for H1s in. He's also doing an extra subject outside, where he thinks he might be in the shout for a higher grade than he could get in Hons Irish. One of the Irish teachers in 4th year has already warned people against dropping down to Pass, where they could get a decent Honour. My son got a Higher Merit in JC, but it was probably closer to the Higher Merit/Merit cutoff rather then the Higher Merit/Distinction cutoff.

Is there much of a time saving in doing Pass rather than Honours ? He could stay in Honours and just coast, but as with so many others he hates Irish and would prefer to concentrate on the other subjects.

I've heard of so many getting the Irish Language Exemption but it's not a road we intend going down.

Advertisement