Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone interested in a small electronics project

Options
  • 04-07-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I'm looking for a solution that could best be described as a "mini-ski lift". The reason for this analogy is that the pulley has supports that do not impede the movement of the t-bars hanging from it.

I want a pulley system that will rotate paper prints over and back across a room (say 20ft). The requirements are

• the motor must be geared such that it can turn slowly, ideally variable speed but say 2 to 3 minutes to fully complete a circuit
    • the "supports" for the prints must be able to rotate without getting caught
    • the system must be able too support up to 10 prints (A4 paper prints)
    • The system will only rotate in one direction
    • The system will constantly rotate

Anyone have any interest or know of someone who provides this service please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

You are very vague on who what where when why and how much. You call it a small project but it's probably multiple days work and there might need to be safety features to prevent crushed fingers.

Is this an art project, a commercial business idea, a play thing? What is your budget? Can you even scribble a drawing? How are sheets held like with clothes pegs?

Electronics night is on every second Monday at TOG near Dunlins red cow http://www.tog.ie

see calendar at bottom of page for dates. July 10th is next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Depending on how "professional" you want it to look, this is what I would do.

Buy a cheap battery drill and battery in Aldi, and a clothes line with a pulley on Amazon. Rig up a frame to hold everything, figure out the correct speed and use a cable tie to keep the drill trigger in the right spot.

Remove the battery to turn it off.

How you want to hold the prints onto the clothesline is up to you, but my first though would be those clothes hangers with clips.

Maybe 100 euro all in, and you can keep the drill at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cal007

@zg3409 thank you for your comments

Yes it is an art project and I absolutely accept it is more than a day's work that I expect to pay for. The piece is for an art installation (not mine - hence the lack of clarity). I will add some more detail once I have it. Thanks for the TOG link

Thank you @Padre_Pio

Not a bad suggestion, but needs to be more professional-looking than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Brilliant, I like to follow this thread, please update it when you can. I have plenty of ideas for more professional setups, depending on the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

one you can buy... bit overkill on the detail for your purposes maybe.. but gives you an idea whats involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wAlwmJP4g

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cal007

That's what I need

The attached image ignores the fact that anything hanging from the cable/string will need to be able to pass a hanging A4 sheet around both ends.

Ideally the rotating wheel will be supported from above. The artist wants to be able to attach to a wall at each end. She wants the motor to move the pulley wheel periodically i.e. the wheel not to be constantly moving. That might be controlled by a timer or motion sensor.

• Interested in someone quoting to provide the necessary and configured equipment please.
    • I expect the prints/images can be held with crocodile or bull clips. The concern is how these will be attached to the pull rope to allow the enable all the prints/images rotate repeatedly around the pulley wheels.
    • What spec of motor will be required to span the distance (11.3M) while maintaining the necessary tension on the cable/string?
    • The pulley wheels must be able to be supported in a way that it can span the distance between two walls.
    • The pulley is intended to be installed above head height. If the pulley wheels are supported from below, they need to have sufficient clearance for the prints to be hung from clips hanging off the pulley cable

Thank you all for your feedback

@Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

I know someone who made an outdoor one of this for Halloween - they had ghosts on a clothes line cable and used bicycle wheels powered by i think it was a car windscreen motor. He said it took a long time get the tensions correct.

If its to work for a ling time (weeks continuously) What about this…

If you can join them together - that would solve the rope tension and the buldig attachment issue- just need figure how to power it then?

“Roll it back”

Advertisement