Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good prices on watches in Duty free?

Options
  • 04-07-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭

Flying to States next week (Boston) , did anyone ever purchase a bargain in duty free/Loop.

Looking for Seiko, Tissot or Casio.

What's the story in the States, can you claim the tax back in local stores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I don’t think I’ve ever seen watches in duty free in Dublin Airport. I am pretty sure the US doesn’t do tax free shopping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Same here that's why I was asking, although I've never looked for them either. Probably some Tommy Hilfiger or Hugo Boss stuff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Of course you could just pick up a watch over there in any shop. Prices usually a little lower than here except for obvious European import brands plus instead of 23% VAT you'd pay 6% sales tax.

Strictly speaking you're probably obliged to declare when bringing it back but if you just have it on your wrist who'd know?

Edit: I have no idea about claiming the sales tax back as a foreigner, declaring an export essentially. Maybe you could but then there's probably forms etc. Would you just attract attention to yourself meaning you'd definitely be on the hook for duty/VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya good point, I've heard of people going to stores in Japan and they give you the tax back there and then!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Never seen a bargain on watches in Dublin airport, sometimes the retail price is higher than outside even.

• Advertisement
Advertisement