Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a supervisor ?

Options
  • 04-07-2023 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

Am I wrong in assuming a supervisor has to be on the same shift ?

for reference, im the day time security officer, I work 5.30-17:30 and the night guy covers me and works the 17:30-5:30 shift. We are alone on site during these shifts, i.e, no managers etc..

The night guy is stating that he is my supervisor, we have no contact other than when covering each other at shift swap. If I ever have any issues or questions I always ask my manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As your manager whether the night guy is your supervisor. If the answer is "yes" ask what the role of supervisor entails in this context.

It may be that, for your role, the supervisor's job involves e.g. checking that you are keeping appropriate records of patrols, admissions, etc, and that this is something he can do by looking at the entries in the records, rather than by looking at you making entries in them. So it's possible that the night guy could be your "supervisor". But, yeah, obviously only a limited degree of supervision can be possible in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No, a Supervisor does not have to be on the same shift as you

If you only have 1 person on each shift, 7 days a week, then its impractical to have a supervisor on each shift, Site Supervisor will probably be the one who liases with your management, completes site rosters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

It wouldn't be unusual especially in 24 hour security to have a supervisor on a different shift. But you should find out what the structure is officially. It's also not unknown for some people to adopt positions they are not entitled to.

Advertisement