Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implants or not

Options
  • 03-07-2023 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Been told by my dentist I'll need a crown in an upper molar.

I've been wearing a chrome plate with 3 upper teeth on it for many years, so the need for the crown has now got me thinking of getting the crown + implants done all at once...a friend had implants done and said it was best money he's ever spent...

The thing is the plate has in general given good service over the years; when ever I've asked dentists in the past re implants the first question is normally "Does the plate trouble you?".

My answer would be "not really" - food does get trapped under it sometimes but that's about the only issue.

So my question is, in this scenario, will it be worth it in the long run, are there benefits that I just haven't thought of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I've one implant and it's great. If you can afford it, why not?

Bear in mind that the jaw bone may have receded where the missing teeth are, so there might be some months of prep work to get the bone to grow.

A consultation will figure out what's needed and the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Was just hoping to hear from someone in my scenario, ie current plate not causing any real issues (though it is a bit awkward taking it out at night lol) but went ahead with the implants anyway, money well spent and no regrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Got a couple of implants a while back, best thing I ever did.

you get used to the extra maintenance…more diligent cleaning, flossing and a bit of extra care with diet. Reducing sugar, and soft drink intake ..” one a day “ apparently.

i did need a procedure called a sinus lift. Preceding the implants…. Procedure itself is weird but in no way painful, but for a couple of days after when pain meds wore off it was a funky fûcked up feeling up there. Got prescribed pain meds though which worked well , didn’t need the full course … soon dissipates… but nothing to worry about.

about 25% of people who have upper implants require a sinus lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Thanks that's what I wanted to here, I did get assessed about 10 years ago, bone graft def required then but no sinus lift.

Advertisement