Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital or Medical Institution of some sort at 'the Mespil' Dublin late 1930s?

Options
  • 03-07-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Still working on a 1937-1941 diary. Writer had nursing experience from WW1. Writes about frequently visiting the "Incurables Hospital" (now the Royal, Donnybrook) and "the Mespil". I can't find any reference to a medical connection for the Mespil - I know it is very near Baggot St Hospital but was there any 'stand alone' medical facility, or facility for elderly people there?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

There was a Mespil House on Sussex Road at junction of Mespil Road. Now the Mespil Estate. Not far from the Royal Hospital - might be worth following up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks BowWow - yes the artist Sarah Purser lived there and so 'my' writer would have visited her there but her regular references are separate to the Purser occasions. I wondered if it was just her shorthand for 'a walk by the Canal'!

Advertisement