Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fido bikes

Options
  • 03-07-2023 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone any experience with these? Thinking of getting one for my commute and looking at the d21 model

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my local bike shop won't touch them except for puncture repairs; the ones the kids use which are at the cheap end don't seem well made.

beware that the new law on scooters/PPV will be finally implemented within a year - not that i expect a crackdown, but if there is one, the fiidos will qualify as e-mopeds, not bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My da recently bought a D21 second hand as he’d been looking for a folding bike instead of his regular e-bike.

Sold it again within a couple days, they’re just not pleasant to ride, the steering input is sketchy, the torque sensing for actually pedalling is awful, extremely jumpy on any assistance setting; you can tell they’re designed to just use the throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Am looking for a folding electric bike for a combination of commuting (5km in and back 2-3 times a week) and general purpose leisure. Was looking at the Fiido D21 but would rather buy from a bricks and mortar shop who can service and support rather than a drop shipper or direct from the factory so thinking of an MS Energy i10 from Electric Paddy. Anyone any experience of either the i10 or Electric Paddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I test rode one for my brother and recommended he stay clear of them... even though it was a brand new bike, it felt cramped, turning was awkward, bike didn't feel well put together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never heard of the brand, and do electric paddy offer servicing etc.? they talk of a showroom but i don't see referenxe to a workshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

My Dad has a Fiido D21 and he's very happy with it. He's past retirement age with mobility issues and can cycle 40km on it easy. Its also one of the lighter folding ebikes which is a major plus. I have ridden it and its not as stable as the 29" MTB I use but I would imagine thats the same as any small wheeled bike with a high CoG, you just get used to it. I cannot say there was anything wrong with the power delivery, its much better than a cadence sensor ebike. It has narrow tyres and no suspension so the ride is a bit sporty but it didn't bother me. I'm quite tall and you definitely know that you're on a compact bike but its not uncomfortable. Its not a commuter so I'm unsure about durability but nothing has broke on it in a year of leisure use. They're good value too.

I see a lot of commuters on the fat tyre'd folders and they look really stable etc. but they weigh a ton (~30kg?), heavier that my full size ebike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I hadn't noticed the lack of any info ref servicing. I was searching Google for folding ebikes and their site popped up. I guess they may not be much more than drop shippers with stock on the ground in which case buying direct from Fiido or one of the other D2C brands might make more sense. No point paying a middleman's margin if they're not adding any real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks for all the replies, I didn’t get any notification for this thread for some reason so only seeing them now, I’ve had a loan of one of them for the last few days and yep they are a bit rough and ready and pretty heavy but I can see them being handy wearing rain gear on the commute as not much effort is needed at all on them so I should stay nice and fresh arriving into work as I’ve no shower option in there. I can charge it in work which is a bonus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few people in work have them, a common problem is the batteries seem to go to sh1t fairly quick. Luckily they are all on short commutes so it is fine but I have heard at least 3 whose range is only a few km within a year. I caveat this by none of these co workers strike me that they care or pay attention to their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Little update on this, I had a loan of one which had been neglected and left out in the rain for years but cycled ok. I bought a brand new one and am getting similar range and speed so it seems that the old one hadn’t lost any power from the battery. I commute 7kms each way so it needs to charged every day which I do in work but it’s a great little way to get in and out with very little effort

• Advertisement
Advertisement