Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a smart meter display stay active in the event of a grid failure?

Options
  • 02-07-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to help an elderly relative diagnose a power issue remotely! There was a grid fault yesterday and power was out for a few hours the grid was restored and power came back late in the evening. They went to bed and got up this morning with no power and assumed it was the grid again. They called ESB who said there were no faults in the area and it must be an internal issue. They've checked with neighbours and they all have power.

There are no lights/sockets working in the house and they have sent me a couple of pics of the fuse board and everything looks ok. I had them reset all the switches but it made no difference. They then checked the meter box and the meter display is on I was wondering if it had a backup battery so it would display even if the grid was off? I've gone through about as much with them now as I'd be comfortable and I'm trying to get them an electrician but was still wondering if the meter display being on is a useful indicator of a live grid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just to close this out the ESB came out and found a burnt neutral at the transformer so it looks like the meter display will stay active with a grid fault.

Advertisement