Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bindweed around a lawn and about to reseed

Options
  • 01-07-2023 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

So that time of year when bindweed really thriving everywhere, have a corner of the garden which doesn't get much attention- it's been rampant there- anyway the hedge it was creeping up has really been cut back and have treated this year's bunch with Roundup so will see how that goes

The issue is it is now encroaching out and spreading along the edge of the grass and moving well away from this epicentre

Am planning to rotivate and re seed in autumn don't want to use roundup here, question is should I pull up this new fledgling bindweed or just cut it at the base? Presumably repeated cutting as soon as it appears and in the lawn context it shouldn't thrive?

Some useful info on this previous thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057987519/what-is-this-weed-and-how-can-i-get-rid-of-it-permanently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

To be honest, the other thread has all the options. Pull it out if you don't want to use weedkiller. I've always pulled it out (which is very easy) and have never really had any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭ergo

I suppose my basic question was is cutting it at the base as effective (or more effective even ) as trying to pull it out roots and all? am seeing conflicting stuff elsewhere, some saying trying to pull out roots and all could actually spread the thing more than simple snip at the base (for an area where Roundup is not an option). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm of the 'roots and all' faction, or weedkiller. I think the weedkiller is the better option for bindweed infestation.

Can I ask why round-up isn't an option in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No contest. Pull out the whole thing. Cutting it back is a road to disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭ergo

2 reasons really

Firstly it's migrated towards an area where the (small-ish) kids may be running near. Secondly that is also getting closer than I'd like to a small vegetable patch. So will avoid round-up there for now and get out on the hands and knees... thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭standardg60

Round-up isn't going to affect anything other than the area it's applied to once it's dried, and i'd have my doubts correctly diluted it would affect anyone anyway, but if you're nervous about it as Jim said above just pulling all the growth when it appears will eventually exhaust it.

For me it's pointless trying to dig out the roots, especially if it's growing amongst other plants.

Advertisement