Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when you reach your pension contribution limit?

Options
  • 01-07-2023 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Are there any legitimate ways of avoiding having to pay the full rate of tax on a PAYE salary once you have reached the pension age related percentage limit?

If this makes any difference, I have taken 10% equity in the company (holding company set up) I work for meaning I receive a base salary + 10% of distributable net profits.

I pay 5% into my pension each month which is matched by my employer. I can only put a further 15% of total salary in so just want to know if there is any other mechanism I can avail of to avoid paying tax on a portion of my remaining earnings (after spending and putting some aside as savings).

Am I right in saying I can transfer to the holding company and leave earnings there tax free until I use it for something else or pay tax if I decide to take it out as cash?

Thank you

Post edited by WhyTheFace on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

I'm not sure how you propose to do this?

So you work for company B and the holding company is A.

Are you transferring your employment or the salary you wish to save to Company A?

In any case, taking a lower salary has no tax consequences, however if this is in lieu of anything else (eg a payable in your favor), it is potentially a deemed distribution.

You could give up the salary and aim for retirement relief/ entrapreneur relief but you would potentially be losing 90 per cent to the other shareholders.

You need a tax advisor for a proper analysis, there are many factors including Close Co rules, but it is not easy to avoid IT in a beneficial way when you only own 10pc equity.

Advertisement