Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is advanced riding skills and certification a thing in Ireland and any recs etc?

Options
  • 01-07-2023 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

was thinking of this recently, I've been reading the Roadcraft trying to improve myself IPSGA and all that...but wondered if there's any official training/certifications in Ireland around skills like the IAM across the water for ordinary riders, if so any idea who does South Dublin/Wicklow area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Rospa can provide certification, which is generally recognised by insurance companies.

Guards are running a Bikesafe scheme, which is all about Roadcraft. It appears fully booked out this year, but you can join a waiting list.

https://gardabikesafe.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RoSPA is available across the country, and worth doing.

Also things like i2i and the Skills Academy are very useful too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

got a start on this journey yesterday, I took the Axa Bikecare

tough but very fair instructor (excellent actually), city, country, motorway, abysmal weather conditions I'd have sworn it was mid November not August lol all thrown in

which was all EXACTLY what I wanted here, challenging and best money I've spent in a fair while

I put my name down for the Garda Bikesafe and plan towards the RoSPA next year

happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

i have done this, but found it a bit pointless, doing a track day and training course in mondello was much better on the skills side

Bike Care etc was just too much common sense, i only did it as I needed it

I did the Skills Acadamy Advanced Course on Sunday last - well worth the trip from the West. Weather was appalling -took about 3 days to dry everything.

https://https://skillsmotorcycleacademy.ie/ and https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057523806314

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

had put my name down for the Garda Bikesafe and got an invite out of the blue for last weekend out of Dublin Castle

turned out to be a very enjoyable day indeed, great value for little money. initially I felt a bit nervy being so up and close to the law (but moreso out of respect my upbringing I guess as opposed to me tax being out kinda thing lol) but relaxed quickly and put in a decent fun ride and learned a few new things. happy enough with myself I think I'll line up for the RoSPA at some point soon

the ride out itself was an eyeopener, small group, I got my own stint in early doors and rotated to the rear after the turn home back to town so had a birdseye of everything....it was gas watching several occasions the fools out there blatantly doing stupid stupid things literally in full view of a traffic bike?!? I dunno if its stupidity, a deliberate lack of respect or maybe it's because they just don't see us on bikes even in highviz and big blue lights lol

those boys have a bit of a thankless job seems to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

I did i2i Machine Control 1 & 2 recently. Couldn't recommend it enough, so much more comfortable on the bike after it!

that i2i looks very interesting I’d enjoy having a go at that

a bunch of us from Galway went over to i2i in Rufford in the summer for a 2-day gig: excellent course, well worth it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Any insurance companies offer premium discounts following successful completion of particular courses?

Separately, it's been a while since I shopped around for insurance but one of the insurers said I'd have to complete something before they'd cover me on a SV650 - dispite having my full licence for 5+ years at the time.

• Advertisement

you should have no problem getting cover on an SV650 tbh. My SO went back on the bikes after a break straight onto an SV650s for just over €300. Depends on who you're talking to.

That said, any extra training is good - you won't get a big discount, but Liberty have a 4-step programme with ADI's can offer you.

Ode To The Motorist

ahh come here now I think you're being done there!!

you gotta treat insurance crowds with suspicion at all times

I'm with Principal, so the quote comes in early Sept and it's exactly as in PRECISELY to the cent the same as last year...hmmm...now that kinda thing triggers me 'cos in my experience numbers just don't work like that SO I asked CN for a quote, theirs came in just over €100 cheaper (as in 1/3 cheaper!?!?) LOL so I rang Principal straight back asked for a recalc and surprise surprise they matched CN.

it's such a sillybilly thing to do, hard to fathom, almost insulting to intelligence. unless they just figure that a certain amount of punters will really just go meh grand here's my mastercard number whatevr...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's taking the complete píss tbh, the SV650 is an ideal beginner bike.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement