Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-BOAT Capsoil

Options
  • 29-06-2023 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭

Saw a lad on TZ selling one of these.

Never saw one before, interesting watch with the oil in it.

I love the way the numerals seem to wrap around to the bezel.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I’ve always thought this was kinda cool, ressence watch….no bubble either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got my first U-BOAT this morning, such a cool watch 😁

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone made them famous

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Nice looking piece, but seems very big?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think it is one of their smaller ones at 45mm diameter. Almost all dial though and massive 4, 8 and U which makes the watch look bigger than it is. Wears about the same or slightly bigger than a Panerai Radiomir 47mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Would be a bit big for me but very nice and different, well wear!

There is some fluid in there, some type of oil? Reverse U-Boot you could say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seeing the bubble every time I checked the time would do my head in.

Perhaps I have a bit of OCD.

Is there any purpose to the liquid, or is it just a talking point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

It's so you can see the dial under water I believe (among other things) A regular watch will basically become a mirror at certain angles due to light refracting on the glass.

Sinn show this on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

How viscous is the liquid? How fast does the bubble move around? Is there any danger of it splitting and multi-bubbling up like soap suds?

I suppose if the oil or whatever it is was too thick it would impede the movement of the hands. Is that why there's no seconds hand?

Looks great btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It also acts to resist pressure when diving deep. The incompressibility of the oil protects/prevents against the distortion an airspace might cause. Usually it needs a heavy case construction and using an oil fill means a lighter or larger case can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

A Casio MW-240-1BVEF €17.99 form Argos. Modded with a silicone oil fill and red Citizen sweep hand as seen in a recent post. I was impressed with a friends U-boat Capsoil but was too cheap to spring for one. The numbers really pop! (A repost from 2020)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Now the styling of that Parnis I bought all those years ago makes sense. I just thought it was really random for the sake of it! (Not my pic btw).

Advertisement