Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen gadgets

Options
  • 28-06-2023 9:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A thread for kitchen gadgets and accessories.

We already have threads for air fryers and pizza ovens, so this thread is for little kitchen gadgets that you would recommend or are curious about.

I've always wanted to be able to julienne carrots for salads, and this little peeler for €8.34 seems good so far.

Maybe a real mandolin might be better for making thinner carrot strands, but it seems good enough for my needs, and I find OXO a good brand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭con747

I was given one of these years ago and find it useful.

Also use one of these for chopping small stuff and plenty more gadgets!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have this chopper, (€38) which is great for chopping herbs, onions, tomatoes, but a couple of pulses is enough.

When it comes to a small bit of garlic or ginger though, I just chop with a knife, and use the blade and salt to make a paste.

I might look into making my own garlic and ginger paste in bigger quantities to store in a jar in the fridge. I don't like the jarred garlic/ginger paste that you can buy from the Indian stores much.

With Ginger your better off storing a knob of it in the freezer and I just use that plate to make it into a paste from frozen and put the rest back in the freezer for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

If u find them … can u repost here as to where to get them. I too am using the jar for mine but would love to buy as a cube or like if available. Many thanks

• Advertisement

I was thinking of making a fresh garlic and ginger paste and storing it...

Not sure if I should use my chopper or my Nutribullet? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

I blitz them and freeze them in cubes and then keep them in a ziplock bag in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

My wife is Asian and if you want to make a garlic paste or curry pastes just get a biggish stone mortar and pestle. Your local or closest Asian shop should have a variety of them and it will last you years. I think we have ours 10 years now and it's used every daily or weekly.

A rice cooker is so handy if you eat a lot of rice, it takes the guess work out of it and perfect rice pretty much every time.

A julienne peeler like the one linked above is great for Asian salads like som tam.

Good knives are essential too and they don't have to be crazy expensive. Victorinox (the Swiss army knife crowd) make really good affordable knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 for victorinox. They’re my go to knives. Not crazy expensive but just great and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think my quest for the perfect garlic press will last a lifetime. Joseph Joseph came close but it eventually broke (maybe a metal version might last longer).

IKEA’s garlic press is the longest lasting one so far but a bit of a pain to clean.

My other favourite gadgets are my silicone spatulas, they’re great for scrapping everything out of things, my Braun Hand Whisk and my metal dough scraper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I love this thing for garlic, I don't have the hand strength to squeeze those press things together sufficiently to get a decent amount out but you can put a lot on weight on this and get a good result. I have a small board specifically for it and it makes it so easy.

I've seen these things advertised on Instagram but was never sure of a good supplier.

Do you have any recommendation for purchasing?

Dunnes Stores, 8 euro if I remember correctly or you can wait weeks from China :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My favourite garlic crusher 😊

I have one of those too but it just smashes it down and you still have to chop it up, worked in hotel kitchen for a good while and that's how we did it but prefer my little rocker now!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Is that a cleaver?

I have a Japanese knife that looks the same but the blade isn't as thick. It's for cutting veg. I use it from garlic to butterflying chicken breasts and cutting topside thin and veg for stirfry.

My fav purchase and I love kitchen gadgets.

Below is the exact one I have. Bought it in 2019 and still as sharp today.

Mercer Culinary M33220 8-Inch Chinese Chef's Knife with Wood Handle, Stainless Steel, Silver https://amzn.eu/d/eWRCPsv

That looks the job alright, but is currently unavailable. What kind of money would I expect to pay for a knife like this?

It's more of a slicing knife, not super fine but not as heavy or thick as a cleaver. It was inexpensive from a Chinese shop. It's surprisingly good for fine work like really thin julienne but heavy enough to chop through a chicken carcass. Nice knife and keeps a edge well.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Sounds the same kinda thing. A must for me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A bit of a basic one I don't know how I went this long in life without a decent pair of tongs but there was a set of silicon tipped ones in a knife set someone gave me as a housewarming gift a few weeks ago and I haven't touched a spatula since, so handy especially this time of year when it's too hot for the oven and it's mostly the air fryer we use.

I've had these salt and pepper grinders for almost a year now, and they stand up to the test. Have gone through so much rubbish ones, especially the fake looking wooden grinders, rubbish. I'd recommend these though, and cheap too, currently €11.31.

I have the taller ones just a different brand but basically the same for a few years now. Great to be able to adjust the grind size easily.

I'm thinking of getting more grinders for those herby salt mixes. So many of them available now..

After years of struggling to find decent s&p grinders and finding quite expensive ones (Peugeot) useless, I found a pair of wooden Oxo Good Grip ones in TKMax for €15 each. They are fantastic and are going a good few years, now. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had various, sometimes expensive, wooden grinders over the years too, with good quality mechanisms, either Cole & Mason or Peugeot, but they all grind far too finely for my taste, and the supposed adjustment on them just doesn't do anything at all. I've resorted to buying the cheap replaceable grinders, Aldi are the best IMO. For reasons that aren't entirely clear, but I suspect has something to with the peppercorn size, refilling them with peppercorns I buy from the local Asian store doesn't work for long and the grinder mechanism breaks.

I'm interested in the Oxo Good Grip ones, have some of their other stuff and it's generally quite good, might give them a try.

My Peugeot pepper grinder was okish if I used particularly small peppercorns! Musgrave ones seemed to be the only ones that worked properly for me. The salt grinder was generally pretty useless.

I was looking around for a good oil sprayer, and I like this one.

It does spray rather than squirt. Handy for the air fryer and salads too. €7.16

(caveat: I have only used EVOO with this.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BG219RHR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Advertisement