Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon

Options
  • 28-06-2023 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Folks,

We are in the process of purchasing a property in Waterford but we are concerned about Radon. We have never really had to consider this with previous properties so it wasn't an obvious concern until the surveyors report.

The surveyors report recommended we check the levels but there were no items raised in relation to the caplink etc.

My father is 88 and has COPD and my daughter was on inhalers when she was smaller so I am just trying determine how big a risk it is.

We love the area and just really want to know should this be a major concern or once the caplink and barrier are in tact is it unlikely to be an issue.

If anyone can can offer any help I would be extremely grateful.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

the epa website

https://www.epa.ie/environment-and-you/radon/radon-testing/

has all the info you need

FYI. If it the house has a high radon level. Radon mitigation can be carried out, I have completed this many times successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I bought an reusable tester online. Addressed my concern. The online maps were far too coarse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Can you link to the tester you used, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 little_dorrit

Thanks for the advice. I contacted the EPA and that really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I live on the out in the Tesco Ballybeg direction and that area is supposed to be particularly bad, the houses are relatively new and have radon barriers and a radon sump.

I did get the house tested before i contacted the radiological society of Ireland and they sent me out the testing kit, 2 black things look like ice hockey pucks for all the world, left in the sitting room and bedroom upstairs for a month or maybe it was 3 cant remember, it tested ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement