Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Strava stats nonsense

Options
  • 27-06-2023 8:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With very little cycling this year, I've been repeating the same climb up Cruagh to Johnny Foxes a bit over the last number of weeks in attempt to get back into shape. Still a good bit from where I was last year but looking at a segment I've been working on, either Strava is nonsense or I'm missing something very obvious. On one pane it is saying my best time is 18:47, on the next that my all time best is 20:24. Same for this evenings attempt, 19:46 tonight, best time this year 23:30. I feel like I'm having a major brain fart here and missing something very obvious but really not seeing it.

(n.b. enthusiastic but truly crap climber, goal is to make it out of the bottom 20% into the bottom 50% 😣 )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are some of your efforts set to private? if they are, they won't appear on leaderboards, but will show for you.

though i follow you and can see your ride from tonight, but none of the segments you did are showing a time of 19:46...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭G1032

I'd say the 2 PBs are set to private

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or within a start/ finish privacy zone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So, after a bit more investigation, I noticed that only rides with an estimated power value seem to make it into the segment leader board. I seem to have lost this figure when I moved from a Garmin 810 to a Garmin 1030 a few years back. Don't have a power meter nor use a HRM when cycling and noticed the 1030 was a bit flaky linking to the old 810 cadence monitor which could be an issue. Guessing the 810 fudged some power figure and the 1030 doesn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think a power value is necessary to make it onto a leaderboard?

i found this on an article about results not appearing on leaderboards:

"If none of the above applies, try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Change your activity's sport type to Canoe > Save > wait a minute and then go back and update the activity to the correct type"

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012184432-Why-Doesn-t-My-Segment-Effort-Appear-on-the-Leaderboard-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Figured it out, not sure how (quite possibly user error on my part), the exclusion zone around my house had been reset from 400m to 1km. Just reset it to 400m and all is well.

Advertisement