Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native Trees Oak and Hawthorn

Options
  • 27-06-2023 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy an oak and Hawthorn tree? I've had a look on google but all the options seem sold out or not available.

Ec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ifyou are looking for bareroot you will not get them till November time. Potted oak may be available in a garden centre, you are unlikely to get a hawthorn unless you are looking for a named cultivar potted. Its not really the best time for planting trees, I would leave it till the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Thanks, I was looking for them as part of a present next month, I'll have to try some garden centres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based? one of the larger nurseries is probably your best bet, e.g. tully nurseries in north county dublin.

however, there's little call for smallish oak trees this time of year i suspect so they might not be readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lidl

I kid you not - was inmy local one Sunday evening and they had both oak and hawthorn, approximately 1m tall for 11.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

@magicbastarder I'm based in dublin, I'll give tully nurseries a call. Other random question would they be ok to leave potted for 18 months or so ? rather than planting them in the garden and trying to move them with us?

• Advertisement

They would, provided you move them into bigger pots immediately and in about 12 months or so, and keep up with watering and feeding, don't overfeed though. My experience has been that if you leave some plants in a pot longer than you should, or don't care for it, it can get stunted or 'put back' and may not really recover. Nurseries grow plants on in pots and they are fine.

I bought some pots of 5 or6 hawthorns that were 'kind of' bareroot, bound together but in a pot. I bought 4 pots, about 20 plants, earlier this year and they are racing away, made great plants. Either lidl or aldi, can't remember which. I don't usually buy supermarket plants but these were reduced to a ridiculous price, and it paid off!

Advertisement