Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHD insurance

Options
  • 26-06-2023 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

What is the difference in insuring a left hand drive car compared to right hand drive one? Is there a sizeable loading?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

Generally speaking you can’t insure LHD cars here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’ve certainly seen plenty of Irish reg LHD cars here. Might only be a couple of insurers that cover them though.

Worth ringing a broker if you’ve a car in mind OP to get an idea of price.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine almost all Irish reg LHD cars are insured under classic policies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’ve seen a 221 Corvette, a few fairly new LHD Range Rovers around the Google neck of the woods in Dublin over the last few years. They’re hardly on classic policies.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

I moved here last year from the Netherlands and brought my car with me. Brokers didn't get me anywhere, as they work with standardised systems which pretty much automatically reject when the phrase LHD comes up. They all advised me to contact insurers directly. In the end there were two willing to insure me, Liberty and Axa. More details on my insurance adventures here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058264205/car-insurance-after-moving-to-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I had a LHD Dodge Ram for years, insured on a commercial policy with AXA, I don't recall any loading for LHD, premium was around the €500 mark.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nonsense. It's not difficult nor expensive to insure a LHD vehicle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Nah, can't say it's cheap either. I don't know what the equivalent RHD of my car would cost, but I pay 2 or 300 more than I did in the Netherlands, whereas the insurance for my wife's car is cheaper here than in NL (we bought pretty much the same car that we had in NL, but in RHD, when we moved here).

Advertisement