Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Theft

Options
  • 27-06-2023 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Recently got my son a decent MTB Hardtail. I am concerned about theft, he has a decent lock and I have snook an Air Tag on it.

Anyone any advice for Insurance for Theft? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Can you afford to replace it if it was stolen? Most home insurance policies will offer the option of including pedal cycles. Depending on the value of the bike it could be an additional €30 or €40 quid per annum to include it, maybe less. As someone thats worked in insurance for years, if its worth more than €1k then Id at least get a price from my insurer to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thanks, its on the house insurance this month. Not sure what impact will have if we claim but I am just curious to know if thats enough or overkill.

It cost 800 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At €800 it wouldn't be worth paying for the typical bike insurance. Try put it on the house policy but a mate tried this and there's either a limit on value, he was putting 2 bike valued at 14k or they've stopped doing it. I can't recall which he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Typically 2500 is the limit they’ll put for specified contents for bikes, at least that’s what most of the places had when I was getting mine there a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah that's probably what it was. He ended up going with bikemo or something as it's discounted through a membership but it's still mental money/month. It does offer pretty good coverage for crash damage etc though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get two decent locks as an investment and treat them as a sunk cost. After this, put €50/€30/€25 a month in savings, in under 3 years, no matter which amount you chose, you have the buying of a new bike if needed. Just my opinion.

Advertisement