Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my old game devices or ipods etc with LiOn batteries going to explode/leak badly one day?

Options
  • 27-06-2023 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

I've a ton of old game devices and music players like Ipods with LiOn batteries in them stored away in random places. Thinking the original PSP and Nintendo DS, then a DS Lite, Wii U gamepad, plus a few VR headsets (Oculus Go).. not to mention several laptops, minidisc players (remember those?), game controllers, and rechargeable speakers and earbuds, etc etc.

Just thought are the batteries in them going to explode or leak one day?

I have my original Gameboy from 1989 and thankfully I was able to remove the standard AA batteries from that so thats fine (and it probably still works), and also my Xbox 360 controllers, but those devices with built in batteries are a pain.. plus I can't say I know where every one of them is.

Could be up in the attic surrounded by lots of flammable boxes 😮

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Original PSP batteries are definitely known to swell and balloon up over time. Not sure about the risks of fire with them, but I've seen them swollen up for sure. I remove batteries from any console I have stored away, just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I might go around and remove them alright someday.. or just wait for the explosion lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A mate of mine got his childhood Gameboy out of the attic there recently (I've known him since school and remember playing the exact unit back in 2nd class!) and unfortunately he'd left AA batteries in it for over 20 years. It was not a pretty sight 😯

Didnt know that about PSP batteries. Must check mine to be safe. Yeah anything with a built in battery is going to be an absolute pain re future proofing. Was delighted to hear about that recent EU mandate about replicable batteries in mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I made a point a few years ago of removing old batteries AA/AAA and CR2032 from my replaceable battery devices... took a battery out of a Swatch I got in 1987... wasn't pretty at all.

Never occurred to me to consider my devices with built-in batteries till now though.

Additionally I think my Nokia 3210 from 2000 still has the battery inside it, not to mention a lot of other phones.

Actually I have 2 iPod Classic 160GB still in wrapping.. I'd better sell those on soon lol

Advertisement