Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending steering column on mountain bike

Options
  • 26-06-2023 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello

I'm looking to extend the steering columns on two old mountain bikes from the 90s. To have a more upright seated position.

I am looking the old ones with new adjustable stems. But am unsure what diameter. Attached is a photo of the present steering column measured. It says 21cm but I don't see that online.

Any advice/help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it a quill stem?

Anyway, that measurement looks more like 21.35mm. They also look like plastic calipers, so I'd question the accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭doh777

Thanks for the comment.

I think they are quill stems. Photo below of the handlebars.

The calipers are indeed plastic but I'm pretty sure the measurements are correct. I measured for the handlebars and it measured 26cm for them which is a common diameter.

Bump on this.

The stem diameter is indeed 21cm.

And I'm looking to extend them.

Either with a new stem or an adaptor.

But again can't find anything online.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's time for a new bike. But if you want to do it. You can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I fitted a set of BMX bars along with its quill which I got from an old BMX. It cost me nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

I tried it on an old Kona, flexes like mad, BMX bars is a much better suggestion.

End result.

Feels completely solid. No flex. Much more comfortable riding position now.

Advertisement