Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beehive/nest

Options
  • 26-06-2023 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭

So we've left our very small back garden go a bit wild.... we'll say it's out of biodiversity 😉

However himself decided to mow the lawn just now and once he lifted a planter he discovered a bee nest.

Not sure what to do.

Part of me wants to put the planter back on top and leave them be....but with young kids...

@Jim Hodge any ideas? @Jim_Hodge (I tagged the wrong Jim.....I was wondering why he was banned 😂)

I'll attach pictures quality not great as they were not too happy being disturbed.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Another closer picture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They look like bees, I'd leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We had this issue last year, just left it and after a few weeks the bees left

I think they sometimes setup temporary hives when they're looking for a new location

It was a bit inconvenient because the hive was right beside the kids swing set, so now the missus is up in arms about letting the garden go wild

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah I think they are a brown bumblebee.

I can put the planter back, I'm just wary with small kids. I know bees don't sting (well they do but aren't aggressive like wasps), but disturb their home they will get angry.

Himself has just come in to say hole already covered over. Busy bees 😂🤣

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are they bumble bee nests? Could you not just put the planter back and leave them?

• Advertisement

That's it closed up now....about 12 bees "patting" it down and more flying around....very fascinating to watch.

Raging I didn't get the proper camera down to take pictures when the hive was exposed.

Yeah I think they are a brown bumblebee.

I've been noticing a lot them around the birdsfoot trefoil we have growing, it's all making sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Over the years I've had bee and wasp nests. I've never been stung, even going over them with the lawnmower.

It's usually people freaking out at the sight of them that get stung. Are your kids old enough to learn about nature? Maybe leave a saucer of water out for them with a few stones they can land on?

Advertisement