Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittany Ferries Rosslare Bilbao Boarding time

Options
  • 26-06-2023 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Heading on the Salamanca, Rosslare to Bilbao Friday night, midnight. The ticket only states.

Please note: you need to be checked-in 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

What is the earliest they will let you on board at? We will have 3 kids, 2, 5 & 8. Would be great to get them settled early.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

looking at their twitter they seem to have a stock response,

Hello John, boarding usually begins about an hour prior to departure, but individual boarding times will vary.

Ah we will survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

As I understand it, it will depend on a number of factors. I've travelled on the old service and on other ferries. I dont know if there is much cargo on the new ship but the organisation of what goes on first is influenced by what is scheduled to travel on the day. You might have all the cars go on last for example, or you might have all the campervans go on last. There is a person (cant remember the title) who determines what goes where on a ship and its down to weight and size and number. You could be on board an hour before departure or you could be getting on as they close the bow doors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have never taken the ferry to Spain but have regularly travelled to both France and Wales from Rosslare, since it's not far from where we live.

And yeah, much as you might like to get on board early, there's no way of guaranteeing it. Turn up two hours early and you might get to board an hour and 45 minutes before departure, but equally, you might be left sitting in the car until just 15 minutes before departure. All depends on what else is travelling on that crossing and they order they decide to board them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi all,

Im hoping to take my car and a lot of my belongings on the Rosslare-Bilbao crossing in late August

Am I better to book It now in advance or Will a) the prices go Up Closer to late august & b) what is BEST recommended economy, semi flexible or......!?

What Will be the average price & is a sleeping cabin on Top of what is being quoted on main interface Page of the website!?

Thanks for any advice in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The boarding time will depend on the inbound arrival. In my experience if two crossings, both Fridays, the boarding does not start until approx 60 mins before departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

I bought a 4 berth cabin in the end.. but is there any way to advertise to some other solo traveller to offset the price or is this is a no-no?, is there not a huge number of empty beds in 4 berth cabins and then some people booking at v. last minute with neither a seat nor a bed? seems a waste but I understand people not wanting to share as they do seem fairly tight cabins..

Post edited by rossj on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rooster8ooster

Just FYI the summer 2024 Rosslare - Bilboa Brittany Ferries route is now open for bookings. I'm just back from a Rosslare - Cherbourg trip and trying to book that or Cork - Roscoff for same time next year but they are not open yet. The UK Brittany Ferries sailings are the same: open for sailings UK - Spain in summer 2024 but not UK - France yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

has anyone done this trip? We are doing it next week and love to hear what the journey and ferry is like. Also interested in what the earliest boarding is.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kil

I traveled this route in early July. The journey was great, the atmosphere was very relaxing, it never felt overcrowded or too busy, there are good facilities on board to pass the time - bars, restaurants, TVs, sitting on deck reading etc. It does not feel like a long crossing. I'd recommend bring a few bottles of water as the prices on board are high - €2.50 - €3.00 for a small bottle. A pint, a glass of wine and two oranginas from the bar was €17. There is a microwave available too so we brought meals from home to heat up. We also brought a travel kettle and tea/coffee to make drinks in our cabin. We had a cabin which had plenty of USB points and Irish/EU sockets. We had a TV which streamed UK TV channels an radio stations.

We arrived 2 hours before departure in both Rosslare and Bilbao but we were waiting a long time before boarding, both departures were delayed and we only had minutes on board before we started moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

I have read that they provide a free evening meal as part of your ticket. I'd that true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kil

Not anymore. It was discontinued for any booking made after December 19th 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

Cool, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

I’d love to do this trip to buy wine. Tired of doing dub-cherbourg and being tight for time, and not having enough tile to go to supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Doing this trip next week myself. Did it 2 years ago also and was delayed around an hour on departure didn't board until after 12pm and set off at 12:30 despite a 11:30 sail time i still arrived in Bilbao at 8am the Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If you got the irish ferries from Dublin to Cherbourg arriving before midday and Stena back at 7pm to Rosslare, thats surely enough time to buy some wine.

Stena also now have 2 ships on that route full time and Brittany with 1 return journey and Irish ferries from Dublin every other day with extra sailing at weekends, so between them all theres never been more choice in sailing days/ times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

Many thanks. I forgot about Stena. We were thinking mid october.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No reason for it to arrive late; there’s an extra 7 hours built into the Fri-Sun departure as can’t arrive in Bilbao at 7am. Arrived back 2 weeks ago and we were delayed at sea on the Thurs-Fri return and don’t get in until 1:30am Saturday morning in Rosslare.

Advertisement