Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Away Dolls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sold! That trailer goes a mile a minute! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Went to see this last night, one of the worst movies I've ever seen, a steaming pile of sh*t! The two leading actresses are fine performers but this did nothing for me or my wife, the puerile humour and lesbian titilation might appeal to teenage boys but waste of time for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I saw this at the recent Dublin Film Festival. Big disappointment. A juvenile, smutty, lesbian road movie. (yeah I know, sounds good). The jokes all landed flat for me. It was trying to be funny and a bit shocking and failed.

It's hard to believe the Ethan Coen of today would want to make something so immature. Maybe young Ethan would find this idea kind of interesting. But I really don't see how this would appeal to him at this stage of his career. The zaniness of Raising Arizona mixed with a Carry On film.

I will say that Margaret Quailey was very good. I think she had the most fun in a Coen movie since Clooney in Oh Brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

There was one inspired bit where a character slammed, I think, a car door. A split second later in the next scene the camera was still shaking. Reminded me of the scene in Blood Simple when the camera moved down a bar and up and over the passed out drunk. I like those inventive touches in Coen brother movies where they remind you that you're watching the filmmakers point of view and they can take you out of the film for a second if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought the trailer looked like someone trying to rip off the earlier funnier CB movies. Their 21st century output has been hit and miss IMO, whereas in the 80s/90s they could do no wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Not a very good film. The jokes largely fell flat, the plot was astonishingly predictable. Some of the lines were almost face slapping bad, the "we're Democrats", for instance. The intimate scenes were at times lecherous.

Spent a bit of the film thinking any of the three trailers beforehand looked like better films (The Kirsten Stewart Lesbian one for example). Still the acting was decent. The critique that this feels like a knock-off Coen brothers film with a dash of Tarantino is a very fair one. Wouldn't recommend.

Advertisement