Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 63A 30mA trip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

No. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭mikeecho

By the by .. the reason I'm looking to replace the trip switch, is because it trips completely randomly.

This has been going on for years.

During that time, the immersion, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, cooker, toaster, kettle microwave have all been replaced.

When I go in holiday everything is unplugged, and yet it still happens, I suspected the fridge, but this time I unplugged the fridge while away, and the trip still went.

It trips at completely random times, usually when the house is unoccupied, but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Far more likely to be a fault thana faulty RCD. Although it's still worth replacing it with a Type A. This isn't DIY work though so not sure why you're sourcing the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Get a REC in with a tester , might not be the rcd , and as said above, that’s not a diy job to change

• Advertisement

I thought it would be fairly straight forward.

Disconnect power.

Remove cover

Swap out rcd.

Reassemble

Power back on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

Check behind all sockets , in junction boxes for buildup of dust, dirt, grime etc (and remove) , it could be slightly conductive between L and E., or issues of moisture behind sockets ? It would also be an opportunity to check if all terminals are tight and look for other issues (damaged insulation etc).

There's about 40 double sockets around there house, maybe more .

It'll be quicker to rule out the trip.

But thanks for the advice, it's something I'll look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

By law only a REC can do this job. This is why it's been suggested that it's not a DIY job. Where I personally believe a REC is the best option is because they may spot something a miss that you wouldn't. They also have, annually calibrated, testing equipment that you won't have so they will be doing more than replacing a trip switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As a keen DIYer, I'm in agreement here as a REC has the test equipment to identify the source of this and messing around in a consumer unit isn't safe at the best of times. There are live exposed bus-bars there. Keep safe, we prefer to have you still posting afterwards. 😁 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Its unlikely that rcd is faulty

Can't say i came across too many trips that wasn't a wiring fault

If the installation is big you might need separate rcbos sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

Is it possible a nail or a screw has pierced a power cable in a wall ?

this could happen hanging pictures, installing cabinets on a wall etc

If it didn't firmly short out the supply, you could have intermittent issues like above

I've had this problem for about 10yrs.

Completely random.

Usually goes when I'm on holiday, and most things are unplugged, but can go when I'm there as well with everything plugged in.

I could go months without the trip going, and then it could be twice in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Probably not that i would think

Can't say I ever noticed much issues with faulty rcds . Sometimes a delayed trip on new work or an old one seized up or won't reset.

They can trip over 15 ma so 'standing leakage ' plus something minor can trip it

Rain then for an occasional trip always a possibility

Testing might find something or maybe separate rcbos if nothing shows up

Advertisement