Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer for tough garden conditions

Options
  • 25-06-2023 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Recently redid our garden (new house, 1.5 acre garden had been neglected to grow wild for 20 years). Grass seed down and is slowly coming up.

Want to get a strimmer to cut back invasive weeds, bracken ferns and brambles that keep coming through. Needs to be wireless and last well when out in garden. Should we be looking at battery or petrol?

Trying not to mow the grass (mostly as don't have a lawn mower and have to get a guy in) and let native flowers come in as much as possible, but some parts are growing way too fast and I can't keep them controlled by hand!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Forget battery there aren't any that will have enough power.

I'd recommend a 40+cc petrol strimmer. You might be better for some areas having a metal blade as they do a clean cut on the grass which is easier to clean up than strimming. 3mm line min if you are hitting occasional brambles and if there area a lot of brambles a metal blade or a bramble blade will be much more use.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you have cut back the brambles take the time to go round and dig up the roots - you don't have to get the entire root system, but get the knob of root that is what sprouts again. Then the brambles are gone for ever. We did this on a similar - slightly smaller - area and it made a lot of difference. (see my enthusiasm in other threads for a mattock as the best way of digging up bramble roots).

I had a Husqvarna strimmer which did a great job but I passed it on to my son as it was too heavy for me to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats not a bad machine for the money but I'm assuming the OP is going to be cutting very long grass and brambles. If so a few extra CC might help I'd be looking for a 43cc model of that type of multitool which I have and use on all manner of really rough areas.

Its a bit cheap (currently €134) but my money would go in this one

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement