Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which shops have good and thick pork chops? They're like rashers these days.

Options
  • 24-06-2023 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Pork chops and getting thinner and thinner each time I go shopping. They look like feckin rashers these days.

Where can I get a good pork chop (and cheap - not expensive gourmet organic stuff) that is nice and thick? Does anyone do thick pork chops anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Why don't you go to your local butchers and ask there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭gipi

I've bought nice ones in my local Tesco

I used to get mine in Aldi, but find they're gone very poor lately.

I now get them from my local butcher, and he cuts them to the thickness I like, and on the bone as well (which I like).

Definitely try your local butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Local butcher.

Mine normally charges €2 for a real thick slice.

I prefer lamb chops but the fat-meat ratio puts me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Free range in a butchers near me. Huge difference in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP Doesn't want expensive.

I won't buy supermarket pork anymore and will only buy free-range. It is a completely different product - but it is a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,550 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu butchers counter.

They sometimes have them cut already or you could ask them to cut you from the rack.

€8.49/kg

https://shop.supervalu.ie/sm/delivery/rsid/5550/product/supervalu-rack-of-pork-1-kg-1362382000

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Oh well, they wont be eating nice pork so!

100% about supermarket pork. Supermarket meat in general actually.

Excellent quality beef and lamb are readily available from supermarkets.

I really don't agree with this idea that butchers are always better. It completely depends on the butcher.

Your average "butcher" is no better than your average supermarket, in my experience.

But a decent butcher that actually butchers whole animals, is innovative and really cares about quality is something rare and beautiful 😁.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, obviously referring to a proper butcher!

Also most beef cuts in a supermarket are wet aged as opposed to dry aged from a good butcher. Happily pay the few extra quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If I want good thick chops, I tend to buy the 'roast cut' of pork (that's basically a load of chops that haven't been cut up) and cut them up myself. They're usually very affordable.

Or go to a butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just go to a butcher and they'll cut them any way you want,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not sure where to post this question, but where in Cork City centre can I find free range pork shops?

O'Mahony's in the English market maybe, or Nolan's on Shandon Street?

@the beer revolu

O Mahony's usually have free range pork. Their non free-range pork is excellent too, though - nothing like what's in supermarkets - but a bit cheaper than free range.

Don't think Nolan's do high end pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Packrat

About the best I've found are the Supervalu bone-in ones.

Good and thick, and not as much white shyte pouring out of them in the pan.

But as others have said, proper pork from a butcher who gives a sh1t over any of the supermarket stuff every single time.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Lidl do lovely bone-in pork chops. They're not always in stock but when available they're gorgeous

as in not dry and very tasty.

Edited to say I'm not a regular shopper in Lidl I only go up when I'm looking for a special offer so the chops could be regularly there but sold out when I get there in the evening.

Advertisement