Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe thunderstorms of June 17 2023.

Options
  • 23-06-2023 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

The thunderstorms that moved through the west and southwest on Saturday, June 17th were among some of the most widespread and severe I have experienced here in Limerick since at least the mid 2000’s, excluding the last 2 years. A low to the west of Ireland, a powerful jetstreak over the celtic sea, very high CAPE values, for Irish standards, over 1500 j/kg. 

For those who are more knowledgable about these setups on this forum, was Saturday’s setup a Spanish plume setup, or a modified Spanish plume? According to the convective outlook and discussion i read last Saturday morning, the airmass over the country last Saturday originated over the subtropics and there was no elevated mixed layer (eml). So I have to asume that last Saturday’s setup consisted of severe thunderstorms associated with an atlantic low and a tropical maritime airmass. Would this be correct?  I’m a little confused between Saturday’s setup and the typical spanish plume environments. 

Advertisement